cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inspection / wheel bearings

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
So my fifth wheel is way over due for inspection and it's been a couple years since the wheel bearings have been checked. We have a local place here that I've never really cared too much for but they are close by and it's easy to get in and out.

I called them yesterday to see what days their inspector worked and also asked how much to repack the wheel bearings...... She said $250.00 an axle, $500.00 for just the labor! I was thinking about $225.00 total. She made it very clear that if the bearings were in need of work or replacement it would not pass inspection until fixed.

I've never repacked mine so my question is, 1.5 hours per wheel, does that even sound right?
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
22 REPLIES 22

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't walk away from that shop, run like heck!

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
I never take any vehicle in to be worked on & get it inspected at the same time. Too easy for the shop to "nick pick".

Having said that I have had very few inspection stations look at more than lights on a trailer in Virginia.

Catrider1
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, don't let anyone place a jack under the center part of the axle. I got lazy a couple of years ago and after 6 months of towing I noticed the damage to my tires. Only cost me $1200 for 3 new axles. Axles were bent beyond repair. Since it took so long to find the tire damage I had no recourse but to pick up the bill myself.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
K CHARLES - Great catch haha... Photo off google search - not mine...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
We have a yearly STATE inspection here in our state for the RV trailers. Hard to ignore the large STATE INSPECTION sticker on the trailer tongue hehe...

I always do a walk around when we are on the road and feel each of the wheels for heat when we pull into a rest stop along the way. I usually re-pack my trailer wheels about every two years.

Roy Ken

Walk around again and hook up the brake-away.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a yearly STATE inspection here in our state for the RV trailers. Hard to ignore the large STATE INSPECTION sticker on the trailer tongue hehe...

I always do a walk around when we are on the road and feel each of the wheels for heat when we pull into a rest stop along the way. I usually re-pack my trailer wheels about every two years.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is not a hard job just a little messy, and there price is out of this world. if you were in my town I,d help you do them,I,m 68 in ok health, just did my boat took about an hour for both sides and that was putting in new seals to. find a trailer deal that sells utility trailers they can do it. or a mom/pop car repair shop. don,t ever take your toys to a shop you already don,t like.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
You should just do it yourself.

To answer your Question it seems like it takes me all day to fool with mine.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.