cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just avoided a tire disaster

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from the Truck Tire place with four new Cooper made in the USA 10 ply Load E tires mounted and balanced. Bought the fiver when we were in Florida this past winter and good old Lazy Days had put new Chinese tires on it. Drove it home slowly and only went out one time for a week since then. When they where taking the Chinese tires off I noticed a bubble had already developed in the sidewall of one of them so I guess I was lucky not to wait any longer. I need thank all of you old timers here who scared the******out of me with the tire stories. I will feel much better now even though I doubt that I will be going down the highways at any speeds to worry about.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)
24 REPLIES 24

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
:W

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:

If there were hundreds of grizzly deaths resulting from blown trailer tires, they might change their minds.

I don't think so, Bamaman. There are tens of thousands of grizzly bears in North America. A few hundred deaths won't make a difference.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
hammer21661 wrote:
I had belts on one tow max break and 2 blowouts I got mad and bit the bullet and bought the 19.5 tires and rims 225/70r19.5 dunlops made in U.S.A. on Chinese vision heavy hauler 81 wheels. 3 bad tires in 1.5 years was enough for me. No 65 mph speed limit on these tires.

I am sorry for the repetitive horn tooting.

Why did you choose 19.5" rims over 17.5"? The 17.5" tires at 4805 lbs have quite a bit weight capacity vs the 19.5 inchers at 3650. Chris

Ok, I had to go check the tires they are Dunlop sp 348 rated at 3970lbs. I chose these because the tire guys said the 19.5 all position tire would be great for scrubbing and give me the endurance I wanted. I was tired of worrying About junk trailer tires and replaced them with a commercial grade tire. If I wanted to upgrade I could go to the 245 size but I was worried about the height even though others said they have been using them on this forum.Also the 225/70r19.5 is a common size tire and readily available not every brand and tread all the time but a common size.Personally I have been around boats and trailers all of my life and can't recall ever seeing a 17.5 tire.these were turned and checked for roundness and equal was installed when they were mounted.If you look me up on here I went through some reasons in another post. pm me if you want any other info I may have.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete ..jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
Bamaman1 wrote:
This is like a broken record--day after day. Horror stories about WillPop Chinese tires.

Too bad the U.S. Government will not address regulation of RV and Marine tires. If there were hundreds of grizzly deaths resulting from blown trailer tires, they might change their minds.

I'm going to change my tires as soon as my fifth wheel trailer arrives.

ST tires are a niche tire like agriculture tires/ATV tires/lawn and garden tires/etc. Their not designated to carry passengers so the gov (NHTSA) has proven not to care about niche tire performance as long as deaths aren't involved.
Case in point is at one time there were over 250 tire complaints about Carlisle ST tires reported on safe/car.gov website. I and others saw them. We even argued about them with a couple of Carlisle users.

NHTSA gleaned 8-9 of them out and reported the others didn't have the proper information so were deleted from the web. NHTSA came to the conclusion that because there was nothing but damage reports and no deaths that NHTSA had nothing to act on.

Nothing will be done about the issue till deaths are reported or political pressure can be put on NHTSA to act on the problem from a damage/cost perspective IMO.

Now.... ST tires being a niche tire are a low volume tire when we compare P and LT total sales. They do have a place with small utility trailers/lawn service trailers/trailers not used specifically as a highway trailer/etc.
JMO

Y'know, I really don't understand why some tire company simply doesn't take one of their good LT tires (Rib, Duravis, etc.), up the load rating and re-brand it as an ST. I almost suggested that they put a load rating like they do for single/dual use, by simply adding a "trailer use" spec, but then you'd have people putting them on their truck and loading to the trailer spec.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
This is like a broken record--day after day. Horror stories about WillPop Chinese tires.

Too bad the U.S. Government will not address regulation of RV and Marine tires. If there were hundreds of grizzly deaths resulting from blown trailer tires, they might change their minds.

ST tires are a niche tire like agriculture tires/ATV tires/lawn and garden tires/etc. Their not designated to carry passengers so the gov (NHTSA) has proven not to care about niche tire performance as long as deaths aren't involved.
Case in point is at one time there were over 250 tire complaints about Carlisle ST tires reported on safe/car.gov website. I and others saw them. We even argued about them with a couple of Carlisle users.

NHTSA gleaned 8-9 of them out and reported the others didn't have the proper information so were deleted from the web. NHTSA came to the conclusion that because there was nothing but damage reports and no deaths that NHTSA had nothing to act on.

Nothing will be done about the issue till deaths are reported or political pressure can be put on NHTSA to act on the problem from a damage/cost perspective IMO.

Now.... ST tires being a niche tire are a low volume tire when we compare P and LT total sales. They do have a place with small utility trailers/lawn service trailers/trailers not used specifically as a highway trailer/etc.
JMO
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
hammer21661 wrote:
I had belts on one tow max break and 2 blowouts I got mad and bit the bullet and bought the 19.5 tires and rims 225/70r19.5 dunlops made in U.S.A. on Chinese vision heavy hauler 81 wheels. 3 bad tires in 1.5 years was enough for me. No 65 mph speed limit on these tires.

Why did you choose 19.5" rims over 17.5"? The 17.5" tires at 4805 lbs have quite a bit weight capacity vs the 19.5 inchers at 3650. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to throw gas on the fire. The only tires I had explode on me were the COOPERS on my pickup. Both left side tires went on different occasions and did major damage. Rear box, front fender, bumper, rocker panel.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Surely those are not really 10 ply tires :W

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer does not put the tires on the trailer the trailer manufacturer does unless you purchased a used trailer and part of the deal was new tires.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Because blow outs and tire failures only occur on Chinese made tires. Riiiight.

Don't know and don't care. I've had all kinds of campers in over 20 years of camping and had exactly one blow out in that time. There were all kinds of tires on the different coaches. I then had two go in the same day. I'm going to a load range G tire as others have suggested. Being stranded on I-75 and learning that the repair bill is $5100 got my attention. I'll get the tires at Taco Bell if they work.
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
A TST and remote mounted, solar powered thermal imaging camera watching each tire can help alert you of pending tire failure ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously, glad you avoided trouble!