cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping Cool

BillPenn
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of the RV's manage to keep you cool when the temperatures are at or above 100? Have an older 31' 5er with one roof top A/C, and an additional "portable A/C" in the front bedroom. I'd say at best they manage to drop the inside temperature about 10-12 degrees. Is this common for all RV's, or just the older ones?
29 REPLIES 29

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with what others have said for your unit. If the box is already hot, say 95+, your one AC isn't going to get it cool. If you want to keep it cool, you have to stay ahead of the curve. Start you AC before you need it on the morning if it has cooled off during the night.

Also as was said, the two hose portables are the way to go if you are going to use a portable. The single hose coolers are just a spot cooler.

Use shade if you can. Pull in any slides you are not using. Slides are more roof under the sun and more volume to cool.

I crack ceiling vents about an inch. The hottest air is in the ceiling, I want to give it a chance to escape. The jury is out on this as it can be counter productive, same as single hose AC. I've tried it when trying to catch up with the heat curve and it seemed to help. Once the rig gets cool, close them.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, we traded a 1 year old 35' TT with one AC heat box for a new FW with dual AC's. I can camp in the heat of summer here in Texas, I can hit the river during the day, drink beer, BBQ etc, but at night I want a shower and cool bed!

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Lyle. Your fiver may be prewired for a second ac; my 2008 was. Two ac's make a huge difference.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
BillPenn wrote:
Thanks for the reply's. Really trying to decide if it's worth buying a newer unit or not. We enjoy our spring and fall camping trips. Unfortunately our summer trips are miserable. It wouldn't be bad if we could go in and stay cool during the heat of the day. Was wondering if any of the newer units did any better job keeping it cool inside.

If you otherwise love your FW, investing a couple grand in 2 new A/C's is a whole lot cheaper than a new FW. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
The newer units are more efficient.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc

BillPenn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's. Really trying to decide if it's worth buying a newer unit or not. We enjoy our spring and fall camping trips. Unfortunately our summer trips are miserable. It wouldn't be bad if we could go in and stay cool during the heat of the day. Was wondering if any of the newer units did any better job keeping it cool inside.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
This is correct information.

Fans help a lot to, just circulation of the air helps.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. ๐Ÿ™‚

The fan IN the A/C by itself is not quite as effective because it tends to put moisture BACK into the air, raising the humidity level.
Of course that is not true if the A/C hasn't run recently.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
CarlT100 wrote:

Staying ahead of the heat curve is vital. I like the idea of the bubble wrap.

Any window shade will be more effective, sometimes by a LOT, if you put it on the outside of the window.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vulcan Rider wrote:
IF your portable has only one hose to the outside world, it might be doing you more harm than good. Those things are a cruel joke.

The one hose blows HOT air out but that air has to come FROM somewhere to replace it......and the replacement air is HOT air sucked in from the outside through small cracks all over the structure.

When it is really hot outside, the net difference in temperature that it gives you is not going to be much. Except for the time you are actually asleep in the bedroom where it is located, you might be better off without it.

Mine got moved to the garage and isn't run hardly at all, only when I need to be in the garage for a long period. And then I leave the door to the house cracked open so the replacement air is "pre-conditioned".

If you really need a portable A/C unit, get one with TWO hoses. They work like a "normal" window or central unit.
This is correct information.

One of the best things you can do is park in the shade. If shade is limited try to park where you are out of afternoon sun.

Fans help a lot to, just circulation of the air helps.

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
39' Toy Hauler, foam wall insulation, enclosed underbelly, two 15K fully ducted AC's keeps us in the low 70's regardless of the outside temp.
2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Our Laredo with 1 AC ducted kept us nice and cool at Disney World in June. It was about 96 +.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
calewjohnson wrote:
I use the foil wrapped bubble wrap from Home Depot to make window shades, with Velcro to make them removable. They have cut the radiant temps at the window from 140 to the mid 89s via IR thermometer.

We set the AC units to 60...which it gets there at night, then at the hottest part of the day (like yesterday) from 2-7 pm, it was right around 100, the main living in the coach was 72, while the front bedroom and garage were 68. Got to stay in front of the heat curve, hard to play catch up if you get behind. We also use the garage for entering and exiting the coach....to help keep the main space cool. A nice floor fan can help move air around also....

Cale

Staying ahead of the heat curve is vital. I like the idea of the bubble wrap. I will give that a try. My old TH had a ceiling fan in the living room and it really helped.
Carl S
US Army Retired

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
It's not just older ones, but some newer ones have very little insulation to heat up the "boxes" we live in.

We have dual shades, plus curtains over dual-pane windows. I keep those closed on the side the sun shines. Then close them all by later afternoon, since the heat still radiates inside through the window. Also, we use table fans inside - one in BR at night and one in LR during day.

I only adjust the thermostat a few degrees during the day. 71 at night and 72/73 during day so I don't get too cold. Luckily, ours is well insulated, so the AC's don't stay on constantly, especially if we're under a few large trees like now in SE OK.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
I use the foil wrapped bubble wrap from Home Depot to make window shades, with Velcro to make them removable. They have cut the radiant temps at the window from 140 to the mid 89s via IR thermometer.

We set the AC units to 60...which it gets there at night, then at the hottest part of the day (like yesterday) from 2-7 pm, it was right around 100, the main living in the coach was 72, while the front bedroom and garage were 68. Got to stay in front of the heat curve, hard to play catch up if you get behind. We also use the garage for entering and exiting the coach....to help keep the main space cool. A nice floor fan can help move air around also....

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler