cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping motorcycle batteries in toy hauler charged

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fun runner 16 foot toy hauler. Just purchased. It has two deep cycle batteries mounted on the tongue. I will keep two sport quads, and one dirt bike in the toy hauler in storage. There will be no electric avaliable at the storage facility. I dont want to take the batteries out of the quads and dirt bike and bring them home and put them on trickle chargers. What I want to do is plug the trickle chargers into the outlets inside the toy hauler (3 of them) and trickle charge the batteries. I want to put solar trickle chargers on the two deep cycle batteries on the tounge. Finally my question: will all the batteries stay charged? Or will I end up with 5 dead batteries? 2 on the tounge, 3 in the toy hauler, and a large bill to replace them all. They will be on their own for up to a month some times.

I apologize for the long winded question but I wanted to make it clear as to what I have in mind.

thanks,

paul
19 REPLIES 19

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize that unless you're hooked to shore power or running the generator, the outlets in the toyhauler have no power? The batteries on the tongue only run the 12-volt items in the camper, and not the 120-volt outlets/items. Two separate circuits.

I'm surprised you have issues after only a month. I never even unhook the batteris, and go for more than a month at times on some of the bikes/ATVs. I try to start them at least once a month, but sometimes it goes longer.

Finally, the solar charger on the tongue bateries will keep them charged up. But, I just unhook (actually I installed a three-way switch) those. The camper, even with everything off, will still draw some 12-volt power, and drain those in a month.
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. My KTM,Triumph and Honda were unhooked all winter in MN and started right up this spring. They shouldn't die in a month unhooked.

msgross
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no electrician but it sounds like you need a solar trickle charger for each device.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50022-Battery-Trickle-Charger/dp/B0006JO0TC

pbbrgr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply but I have had terrible luck with motorcycle batteries. In my experience the only way to maintain them is with a constant trickle charge when not in use. Otherwise they are dead in a month.

paul

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
If it's only a month, just disconnect the batteries. This is what I do during winter when I know the bikes are not going to be ridden and the charge lasts for several months.