cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

King pin stabilizer ?

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
On my old 5th wheel it had just screw down jack in the rear and I used a king pin stabilizer and it did help with the 5er movement. Our new 5er has the auto leveling which puts a lot of weight on the jacks at 4 points. So my question is those with auto leveling do you use and if so are there much improvement using a king pin stabilizer?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
25 REPLIES 25

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
With our first 5ver we only used the KP tripod if we were staying more than just the weekend....otherwise took it out of the basement.

With our current 5ver, which has 6 pt leveling, the KP tripod is NEVER even loaded in the basement. It sits in our home's basement.

I agree with a previous poster, with auto-leveling, if you use a KP stabilizer, you are asking for trouble - at a minimum, you are creating extra work for yourself.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I never had a need to carry one. Chevman. PS. Our winter time has ran out for us. Not able to travel again ??

I am sorry to hear that!!!

A story on rv.net a few years ago about an couple having to quit rving because of health. The wife was sad about quitting so another lady came back to tell DON'T FROWN BECAUSE IT IS OVER BUT SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED. We will feel this way after my wife can travel home for the last time.

chevman

Best wishes for you and your wife. You have had a great run in your snowbird years. I had a snowbird aunt tell me years ago. Enjoy the early retirement years, as the first 10 year will be the best, and if you are lucky it will be longer. DW retired in 2003 and I retired in 2006. First snowbird winter was 2008-2009. We now thinking if we have to quit the commute, we will stay year round in the AZ park model. It is 875 sq ft with two baths, murphy bed in bonus room and a man cave! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I'll repost your actual question for ya'.

op wrote:
So my question is those with auto leveling do you use and if so are there much improvement using a king pin stabilizer?

I have and I use a pin stabilizer (adjustable chocks and rear stabilizers) but I don't have a auto leveling system.

Anywayz...I've seen posts and replies to such questions where a trailer owner with the auto leveling system releveled while having some type of stabilizing jacks (JTs) down. His result was bending the pair on the rear beyond use.

If you use your pin stabilizer just be aware what may happen with a auto leveling system if you decide to relevel.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
My stabilizer has been in my shed, holding up air, for a number of years now. I use steady fast and am pleased with them.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
King pin stabilizers are a waste of money, but I have read on here about people that have used the JT Strongarm's to make the trailer more solid, even with the auto leveling.

I don't have auto leveling, but dumped my king pin stabilizer for the JT Strongarm. World of difference.

Strongarm or similar are better but king pin stabalizers are far from a waste of money.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I never had a need to carry one. Chevman. PS. Our winter time has ran out for us. Not able to travel again ??

A story on rv.net a few years ago about an couple having to quit rving because of health. The wife was sad about quitting so another lady came back to tell DON'T FROWN BECAUSE IT IS OVER BUT SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED. We will feel this way after my wife can travel home for the last time.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
King pin stabilizers are a waste of money, but I have read on here about people that have used the JT Strongarm's to make the trailer more solid, even with the auto leveling.

I don't have auto leveling, but dumped my king pin stabilizer for the JT Strongarm. World of difference.

One came with our 32.5 Avion Platinum, thought I may as well give it a try. I did and then gave it away.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had 4 point on last DRV and now 6 point on current DRV. ZERO reason to use a pin box stabilizer.