Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Landing gear issues

candjmc
Explorer
Explorer
hi all we have 2010 28 ft cougar.
Bought it last year and first time in October when were leaving the landing gear fuse poppes 30 amp
So I didn't do anything over rhe winter as when werw home i tried and seemed ok.
We took it on three week trip and it pops super easy
I just charged the battery to make sure it was topped off here at home and it popped again
Any help would be greatly appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You see them quite often in Snowbird parks or parks where there are a lot of longer term residents.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

candjmc
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen them on 5th wheel in the front and I definitely only have rears rhere obviously retracted if I try raising or lowering

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
candjmc wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
My landing gear popped the 30 amp in line fuse 3 times ....... until I realized I had forgotten to loosen the tightening screws on my JT Strongarms. :S

What is that?

They are stabilizing arms that attach to the landing gear and stabilizing jacks to make the trailer more steady and stop the movement inside when someone walks around.

Once the jacks are down, the JT's are tightened and steady the trailer. If you forget to loosen them when trying to raise your jacks, they resist that movement and possibly blow a fuse or make it impossible to raise the jacks.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

candjmc
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My landing gear popped the 30 amp in line fuse 3 times ....... until I realized I had forgotten to loosen the tightening screws on my JT Strongarms. :S

What is that?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I have had issues with the landing gear since I've owned my AF. I drilled holes and lubed the jack screw with white lithium spray lube and it helps. But I find that it still struggles to lift the front of the trailer as high as I need it on my driveway (which slopes down). My next mod to my trailer is going to be a dual motor setup. Unfortunately, my landing gear is incompatible with all of the dual motor kits offered (I don't want to mess with having new brackets welded onto my frame). So, I'm simply going to replace my driven leg with another matching drive leg and replace both motors/gearboxes to ensure they are speed matched.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the 30 amp in-line fuse pop and the dealer told me they pop when the landing gear in over-extended. A commercial transporter delivered mine and he couldn't get it unhooked from his truck and neither of us knew why the landing gear would no longer work. Assume he over-did it at the dealership when he brought the legs up and then they wouldn't come down on delivery. Called the service dept and that is how we found the issue.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

candjmc
Explorer
Explorer
Ok jerry thanks for that the 30 amp is just an inline fuse

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, a little lube will take some strain off. If you have a zerk to access for the leg drive, that has worked great for me. It only takes a couple of pumps of lever per leg. You might want to check the top gears that run the legs. Should be a removable cap on top to hand lube with a gob of grease if needed.

Those 30 amp circuit breakers can weaken over time too, and may need replacement.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Lubrication may solve the poppes issue along with a topped off battery.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

candjmc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there and thank you I never thought of that but I will be looking into it.
I will report back and let you know

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some landing legs can be lubricated via a fitting at the top inside the passthru, how about yours and have you done so?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper