cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Let's talk generators - again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still doing research on a generator for my 5er.

First off, "the boss" has decided that SHE does not want a portable unit, for the sole purpose of being able to run the air conditioner(s) in the 5er at any time, even while driving. Also, being able to power up the 5er at rest stops, events, and such without having to drag out something on wheel and wires.

My 5er is a 50 amp with 2 AC's and Residential refrigerator. I have no issues with the refrigerator, powered by a 1000 watt inverter, powered by 2-twelve volt batteries when off grid.

So, that has pretty much narrowed down my list to the Cummins Onan RV generators. My 5er is designed to fit a generator in the front bay:

And the two under consideration:

Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 Gasoline Generator
Cummins Onan RV QG 5500 LP Generator

One thing I'm not able to determine, especially with the gasoline version, is the fuel tank. Does anyone know if the generator itself has a fuel tank? Or does a separate fuel tank need to be installed somewhere in the 5er.

I have a portable generator I use at home, and it has it's own gas tank attached. Holds 2.5 gallons.

For those of you with a 5er, no doubt the generator is installed in the front bay. Where is your gasoline supply for the generator at (if you have one).

If you have LP version's fuel, no doubt it has to be supplied by an external tank somewhere. Did you just tap into your existing 5er gas lines, or install a separate gas tank/bottle. I always carry a 3rd - 30 pound propane tank with us in the pass through because we do use this camper in the winter (a lot) and wanted a back-up full tank, all the time.

Last question? Portable units are ruled out. Other than Onan, are there any other manufacturers that make an in-house RV generator, similar to the Onan. Or is Onan the only one "out there". If there are others, what are they?

Yes, I know these things are "pricey", but I'll deal with that once I get the logistics figured out.

Your experience is greatly appreciated.
75 REPLIES 75

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Ask your insurance company if your covered if your vehicle is left unattended with engine running.

Insurance company didnโ€™t bat an eye in PA for my father-in-law 2 or 3 years ago. He started his car one winter morning and ran inside for a minute. Came back out and it wasnโ€™t there.

Cops talked to him, โ€œyeah, you shouldnโ€™t do that but yeah, itโ€™s freaking cold out this morning.โ€

Because cars being stolen with keys in it is becoming a thing, insurance companies are creating exclusions.
As mentioned Remote start is the simple solution for this issue.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Ask your insurance company if your covered if your vehicle is left unattended with engine running.

Insurance company didnโ€™t bat an eye in PA for my father-in-law 2 or 3 years ago. He started his car one winter morning and ran inside for a minute. Came back out and it wasnโ€™t there.

Cops talked to him, โ€œyeah, you shouldnโ€™t do that but yeah, itโ€™s freaking cold out this morning.โ€
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

TF36DSMatt
Explorer
Explorer
The Keystone Raptor and Fusion both come with gas Onan 5500s with 30 gallon fuel tanks. Not sure how similar they are to a Montana but might give you an idea of how Keystone lays out a gas genny on their fifth wheels if you wanted to go that direction.

I have a built-in gas Onan 5500 on my toy hauler with push button start and it works well for the situations you describe. Only issue is I am on my 3rd carb. I do use Stabil and still get issues (genny shutting down under load, won't start, surging, various codes, etc.). Search "Onan problems" on here and you'll get lots of hits and most of these problems are with gas models and can be remedied with a carb swap. The carb is actually very easy to change out in about 15 minutes at a cost of around $300 (Amazon). I installed a fuel line shutoff after my most recent carb swap and run the carb dry for storage so hopefully that will help.

patnchris
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable, but in my next unit I will be looking at onboard. I would prefer gas because of availability. No one has mentioned it, but I was thinking about a couple of 6 gallon boat tanks. They have quick disconnects and when one was empty just connect the other. Then refill the empty at any local gas station
Patrick and Christine
Trevor the cocker spaniel
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

When We get to a place to eat when travelling, its usually an in and out deal.... We are not gourmet eaters in any way... I shut the truck off, remove keys, and exit the vehicle.. I then use my remote start feature on my phone and start it, i can run up to 29 minutes with that feature...

that is plenty of time, and it also gives me a count down so I know exactly how much time is left.

I find it easier than moving the pups into the camper, then firing up the Onan just for 30 minutes.... mainly due to the fact that I store STUFF inside the generator compartment and have to move it when its running due to the heat

I use the Onan when we need a break... when we need to push a slide out and nap for a bit.. or just rest for a bit..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
"No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea."

Note I did write: with the keys in it!
Correct Trax,Splendide

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
Roy Bell Wrote:
I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

I think you'd be surprised how many cars left running are stolen with the keys left in it
I personally witnessed an officer scolding someone for leaving their car running with the keys in it.
No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea.

Um, a remote start isn't all that expensive. Mine has settings that allow you to leave the truck running for a few minutes for "turbo cool down" or indefinitely. Push the button on the remote, dash lights flash, take the key out, truck stays running, lock the truck. If someone =does= get in, they have to step on the brake to unlock the shifter. Without the key in and turned to RUN, it shuts right down.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Even worse is leaving it running with pets inside!
Leaving an unattended vehicle is a crime in many places.
Leaving pet in a vehicle in hot weather is also a crime in many places!

Need to get back on generator issue!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:
I think the possibility of someone smashing the window to get in a locked vehicle that is running is very remote when parked in a lot that is obviously covered with cameras. :h I have done it for decades.

There are plenty of crimes caught on camera...but that doesn't stop the crime from happening.

Again it has become such an issue that you will be issued a ticket if caught in my area.
The cops have become frustrated/irritated trying to protect cars with keys in it and the engine running.
Whether you done it once or twice or for decades it's a bad idea in 2019.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think the possibility of someone smashing the window to get in a locked vehicle that is running is very remote when parked in a lot that is obviously covered with cameras. :h I have done it for decades.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Roy Bell Wrote:
I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

I think you'd be surprised how many cars left running are stolen with the keys left in it
I personally witnessed an officer scolding someone for leaving their car running with the keys in it.
No matter how you slice it, Leaving a car unattended and running with the keys in it is a bad idea.
Correct Trax,Splendide

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

I would not feel comfortable inside Cracker Barrel eating lunch with my truck engine running to keep A.C going for the dog! Sorry but I do not have that much faith in my fellow man that someone won't drive off with my truck,5th wheel and dog!
However leaving dog inside RV with the AC on is easy with the 5500 lp.
Push the button for the electric, and turn on the AC. No cords, no chains,no gas worries. Far fewer security risk.

Secondly yes the RV can be hot but it starts to cool immedaily. 2 AC's going with slides retracted you feel the cool air immediately.
The animals are not exposed to very high heat. Certainly no worse than getting into a hot car during the summer. My dog is very content in RV with AC on.

I leave my dog in my truck when we are out and decide to stop somewhere to eat or a location that does not allow dogs. I lock the door from outside and leave the truck running. Parked in a parking lot it's not too likely someone is going to notice a truck running in the middle of the day and attempt to steal it.

Back in 2017 we were boondocking at the NASCAR race in Richmond and it was HOT ! ! ! We mostly ran 2 AC's ( both 15k), but sometimes dropped to 1, from Friday, till 6:00 AM Monday .. morning.. All in all, we used 5 of the 40# bottles...

There is a Costco about 10 minutes away, we ran there Saturday afternoon and refilled.. I also have an office in Richmond and was able to transport 2 empty 40# bottles via shuttle truck to that office so I did not have to carry them all the way down there...
Like stated, not ideal for long term boondocking, but workable... PERFECT for short term, naps, breaks, ect.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I haven't seen an genset that is silent when producing enough electric to run 2 -RV AC units. Yes they may be silent in econo mode recharging batteries but they are not silent when producing max. power.
Onan's are designed to frequently, put out lots of power,for a long time. Fuel efficiency is lower on their list of priorities.

The OP has stated he would like a built because he doesn't want to handle,haul, carry or set up anything.
He wants push button convenience above anything else.
With that in mind an Onan LP is the way to go.

I think the OP is well informed now . I agree the Onan LP is great, its simple here ,if you want to run it for hours on end, be prepared to be able to have a convenient propane source or haul a bunch of extra tanks.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I haven't seen an genset that is silent when producing enough electric to run 2 -RV AC units. Yes they may be silent in econo mode recharging batteries but they are not silent when producing max. power.
Onan's are designed to frequently, put out lots of power,for a long time. Fuel efficiency is lower on their list of priorities.

The OP has stated he would like a built because he doesn't want to handle,haul, carry or set up anything.
He wants push button convenience above anything else.
With that in mind an Onan LP is the way to go.
Correct Trax,Splendide