cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEVEL UP landing gear issues

mharpool
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a lengthy search in all forums for info but cannot find a thing about it, so I'm posting my issue here. I have a 2014 Keystone Raptor 332, that has developed a knocking noise every 30min to an hour. Sometimes it even shakes the RV. Needless to say I cannot sleep. I have determined it's coming from the LEVEL UP front landing gear. I see a couple of hydraulic lines have a tiny amount of fluid on the outside of them, so I suspect I'll have to get those replaced. As soon as I discovered the issue was the legs, an online search revealed that this is not uncommon and it is recommended to replace the hydraulic fluid with anti-stiction fluid:
1) TORCO RFF Grade 15
2) MAXIMA Fork Oil Grade 15
3) CATERPILLAR Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891

I'm shocked I cannot find this topic in the RV Forums.
Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any advice I would appreciate.
Can I do this service myself or should I haul it into the repair shop??

Thank you!!
2005 National Rage’N 2100FB
2014 Keystone Raptor 332TS Sold
2007 Eclipse Stellar T20 Sold
2006 Lance 861 Truck Camper Sold
still got my tent
9 REPLIES 9

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
replace a quart of the fluid with "anti-stiction" (spelling?) fluid.
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Steve76eb wrote:
I used the fork oil and it performed great. Took away all the popping and creaking.

I used the Fork oil too because it was the easiest to source on Amazon. I even left a great review there. I agree, it was great.... for a few months. Then an old friend crept back into my life...LOL. The CAT fluid seems to do the trick permanently.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

mharpool
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for replying. I will use the CAT fluid and hope that does the trick.
2005 National Rage’N 2100FB
2014 Keystone Raptor 332TS Sold
2007 Eclipse Stellar T20 Sold
2006 Lance 861 Truck Camper Sold
still got my tent

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
I used the fork oil and it performed great. Took away all the popping and creaking.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
As said, extremely common. Use the CAT fluid. The other two don't perform.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I actually hadn't heard of it until I went to the Mobile Suites forum where they discussed it a lot, along with some other issues with the level up. Mainly seals on the front landing legs going bad prematurely.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - I've used the Cat fluid in our rig's Level Up since a few months after we started full-timing. It's actually recommended by Lippert (LCI) which handles the Level Up system. Works great, but that fluid is pricy! As already stated, just remove 1 qt of your ATF and replace with the CAT fluid.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

PS ,

very common issue, happens to quite a few,..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

You DO NOT want to replace ALL the fluid...

I believe it will tell you to raise ALL jacks and retract all slides.. Verify the fluid level is GOOD..

With a turkey baster, remove 1 quart of fluid.. replace that with the recommended fluid to remove the noise
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet