cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light weight 5r that can hold a motorcycle?

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We've had the Thor Jazz since it was new in 2003 and it's been amazing - reliable and mostly trouble free. However, it's time for us to get a newer model and I could use some help.

I still have my Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L gasser, so my max trailer GVWR is 10,400 lb.
My wife really wants something at least 30'.

Here's the troublesome part: I have a dual sport motorcycle (340 lb.) that I'd like to bring with us sometimes. However, my wife isn't willing to give up 10' of space to a toy hauler garage.

I've spent HOURS looking for a solution, but I'm at a loss.

I could use some suggestions on how I can bring motorcycle with me when we take the new 5r out -- or a pointer to a toy hauler with a tiny garage.

Thanks!
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------
12 REPLIES 12

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
ZagiFlyer wrote:
Hello All,

We've had the Thor Jazz since it was new in 2003 and it's been amazing - reliable and mostly trouble free. However, it's time for us to get a newer model and I could use some help.

I still have my Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L gasser, so my max trailer GVWR is 10,400 lb.
My wife really wants something at least 30'.

Here's the troublesome part: I have a dual sport motorcycle (340 lb.) that I'd like to bring with us sometimes. However, my wife isn't willing to give up 10' of space to a toy hauler garage.

I've spent HOURS looking for a solution, but I'm at a loss.

I could use some suggestions on how I can bring motorcycle with me when we take the new 5r out -- or a pointer to a toy hauler with a tiny garage.

Thanks!

ZagiFlyer,

Something for you to be aware of for a California resident, is that to "legally" tow a 5th Wheel between 10,000 GVWR and 15,000 GVWR you need to have a 5th Wheel RV Endorsement on your Class C Drivers License. This only involves taking and passing the written test at DMV to obtain the endorsement.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

tsenior
Explorer
Explorer
ZagiFlyer wrote:
tsenior wrote:
I was in the same predicament and didn't want a full garage in the back. The Idaho tote and swivel trailer http://smarttrailers.com/ can do the job. I ended up getting the new Alpine 3900RE. It's probably larger than what you want but really works for us. It fits my Harley perfect.

This is a cool product, and it's light enough that, even with the bike and trailer, I'd still be OK on weight (well, close :)). However, I believe that in CA (where I live), one needs a class A license or something to tow "doubles".

Thanks for the link though.

It's not actually considered a double because it connects to the trailer in 2 points. It's really like an extension of your trailer. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket...I'm in Cali also.
"GROOVIN"
2011 Montana 3455RL
2005 F-350, 4x4, DRW
Prodigy brake controller

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Keystone Outback 280. I voted for this one. My wife voted for a 5th wheel toy hauler....guess who one....
I like the 5th wheel but I miss our Yukon XL for everyday driving. It would have been a push, but I would have towed the 280 with it.
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
ZagiFlyer wrote:
  • My payload is rated somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 pounds, so I'm not constrained there (20% of 10,400 is ~2,000).

• Documentation for the truck states a fifth-wheel limit of 10,400 lb (my original post was off by 100#).

• I've got over 40,000 miles of towing my existing rig, which is in the same weight class, with no issues whatsoever. Emergency stops? No problem. Emergency traffic maneuvers? Easy-peesy. Steep grades (8%)? Got it covered. So I'm completely confident that a 5r at or under 10,400 will be completely safe.

I'll take a look at the links provided so far. It may just be that you can't have everything and I have to leave the motorcycle at home.

Thanks for the input so far!
The fifth wheel limit of 10,500 is only half the story. Payload is the other half.
I doubt your payload is anywhere near 4000# unless you have a base regular cab 2WD short box!
You need to figure out the real number.
Open the glove box. Read the "Reserve capacity" from the camper label.
Add 150# to that number for each passenger seat, including driver. That gives you your ACTUAL payload.
Then subtract:
Driver
Passengers
Full fuel
The dog
Stuff like toolbox, extra fuel tank.
The fifth wheel hitch
etc etc.

What's left is the pin weight your truck is rated to handle.

You SHOULD be OK, but I bet you will be a lot closer than you expected.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
clotus wrote:
Could you put on a front carrier for the motorcycle? Or maybe have a custom hitch welded on the rear of the 5er? Just make sure it can handle the weight. If you can do either option then I think this should be an easy decision......well easy in that all options are open.......extremely difficult in the vast choices out there.

I'm told that most of the newer light-weight 5rs don't have adequate frame strength to handle the additional load that far back. I know that when things get bouncing it gets pretty violent in the rear of the trailer; I've had plenty of instances where my chairs, etc. were literally upside down when I reached my destination.

I hadn't thought of a front carrier. If that doesn't overload the rig (particularly the front axle), that may be a good solution. With the added benefit that, should the bike somehow come loose, I'd definitely notice!

Thanks!
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
tsenior wrote:
I was in the same predicament and didn't want a full garage in the back. The Idaho tote and swivel trailer http://smarttrailers.com/ can do the job. I ended up getting the new Alpine 3900RE. It's probably larger than what you want but really works for us. It fits my Harley perfect.

This is a cool product, and it's light enough that, even with the bike and trailer, I'd still be OK on weight (well, close :)). However, I believe that in CA (where I live), one needs a class A license or something to tow "doubles".

Thanks for the link though.
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Could you put on a front carrier for the motorcycle? Or maybe have a custom hitch welded on the rear of the 5er? Just make sure it can handle the weight. If you can do either option then I think this should be an easy decision......well easy in that all options are open.......extremely difficult in the vast choices out there.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

ZagiFlyer
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
ZagiFlyer wrote:
I still have my Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L gasser, so my max trailer GVWR is 10,500 lb.
Your max trailer is NOT 10,500#.
First of all, that number is reduced by every pound in the truck over a 150# driver.
Secondly, any fifth wheel is going to put 20% of it's loaded weight on the pin. What is your truck's Payload rating? It's too old for the "Tire Loading Information" label so subtract it's "Loaded for travel" weight from your GVWR (on your door label).
What's left is what you can carry in terms of hitch and pin weights.
Probably find you can pull more of a TT than you can a fiver.

• My payload is rated somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 pounds, so I'm not constrained there (20% of 10,400 is ~2,000).

• Documentation for the truck states a fifth-wheel limit of 10,400 lb (my original post was off by 100#).

• I've got over 40,000 miles of towing my existing rig, which is in the same weight class, with no issues whatsoever. Emergency stops? No problem. Emergency traffic maneuvers? Easy-peesy. Steep grades (8%)? Got it covered. So I'm completely confident that a 5r at or under 10,400 will be completely safe.

I'll take a look at the links provided so far. It may just be that you can't have everything and I have to leave the motorcycle at home.

Thanks for the input so far!
  • '23 Ford F350 diesel
  • '24 Arctic Fox 29-5T

----------------

Please

read the FAQ.
-----------------

tsenior
Explorer
Explorer
"GROOVIN"
2011 Montana 3455RL
2005 F-350, 4x4, DRW
Prodigy brake controller

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
ZagiFlyer wrote:
I still have my Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L gasser, so my max trailer GVWR is 10,500 lb.
Your max trailer is NOT 10,500#.
First of all, that number is reduced by every pound in the truck over a 150# driver.
Secondly, any fifth wheel is going to put 20% of it's loaded weight on the pin. What is your truck's Payload rating? It's too old for the "Tire Loading Information" label so subtract it's "Loaded for travel" weight from your GVWR (on your door label).
What's left is what you can carry in terms of hitch and pin weights.
Probably find you can pull more of a TT than you can a fiver.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
This one has a unique garage. The bedroom raises and lowers over it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bli2OPSoeus

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of some side loading garage toy haulers. Basically they have a ramp on the drivers and passenger sides, and you push through the RV, taking it out the other side, or remove from the same side if you like.

Check out some toy haulers. Basically once you remove the toys, you can use the area as a second fully enclosed bedroom, so if you have kids, that can help give them some privacy.

I was looking at one toyhauler (20,000 GVWR and triple axles, so to large for anything but a dually) and it had a rear bathroom in addition to the forward full bath. It has bunk beds and can be set up with a dining table back there. So it really could sleep up to about 10! And seat about 8 in the back for dinner, in addition to about 6 in the living room.

I had a friend with a toy hauler, and he could host a large group for dinner, it was really nice if it rained, or was cold out.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com