cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for comparisons/opinions.

shoebox303
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I'm pretty sure my wife and I have narrowed our search down to two models:

If you've seen my other threads, you'll know that we're a family of 4 (2 kids, 6 and 9) looking to live full time in the trailer for about 2 years in Utah, so cold weather protection is a big factor.

My wife has informed me that I need to consult with the experts, and that means you guys! Please let me know what your experiences are with these models specifically, or with these companies. Thanks, everyone!
8 REPLIES 8

vandave
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our 31U for ten years and not had one problem with it. Never been back to the dealer. Other than normal maintainence not a glitch. We use it about 4 months every year. They are a little on the high side of price and quite heavy. Good luck. We will be transitioning to a Class A since by bride of 50 years struggles to get in and out of our truck.
Vanda and Dave Ludwig (Vandave) Spoiled King Charles Spaniel, Ultra spoiled Cock-a-Poo

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
One last thing. Order the new fiver instead of taking one off the lot. That way you can get all the options you want (paying special attention to any kind of arctic package, tank heaters, extra insulation). This will also insure you don't have to pay for things you don't want. I ordered my rig and it only took about 4-6 weeks (call the manufacturer and ask).

Also, the yearly model switch-over for my manufacturer was something like May. So ordering just after the switch date so you get a newer model can save you money down the line in depreciation costs. Another question to ask the manufacturer - not a dealer.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading posts on RV.Net for 3-4 years now. I generally pay attention to posts discussing anything about Northwoods Manufacturing and Arctic Fox.

Above all else, I have learned that what should be most important when buying is the quality of the product. And generally the words 'quality' and 'RV' are seldom used in the same sentence. The RV industry is way behind the automotive industry in this regard. WAY, WAY, behind. So my advice is to try and figure out which of those two manufacturers has the best build quality. Many very expensive problems can pop up long after the one or two year warranty runs out. Talk to the customer service departments of both. Ask if they allow warranty work to be performed by mobile mechanics.

Based on what I have read, if I were to buy another 5th wheel (or trailer) I would most likely buy a Northwoods product. I have not previously owned one.

I must stress that I've never owned anything made by Jayco but they generally seem to get good reviews.

Suggestion for you - do 2 searches on the 5th wheel forum, one for 'Arctic Fox' and one for 'Jayco'. See what people have to say.

Just my .02 opinion.

srink
Explorer
Explorer
For 4 living full time. Think Kitchen, counter space, Refrigerator, Lounge area, storage. Outside kitchen a waste for most of us. turning your head to watch TV is not comfortable.
For us, Larger Frig, more counter space, comfortable lounge area and storage.
Can't tell about storage but it looks like Jayco wins the others
Condo on Wheels

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy the one SHE likes you can,t go wrong. IF you by the other one,you,ll never here the end.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the more expensive heavier one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Just from what I've read here over the years, I'd go with the Northwood product over Jayco. Quality seems to be quite a bit better, overall, though Jayco isn't bad and does have the 2-year warranty. Biggest issue is going to be the fact that this is your =home= and any warranty work will almost certainly have to be done on-site. If one or the other company won't work with you on mobile service, then that makes your choice a bit easier. Now, if you encounter a truly major issue, this means that the rig is going to have to go back to the dealer, so which dealer do you like more? How fast are they going to fix it, or BE ABLE to fix it? You'll have to be in alternative housing while it's being fixed, too. A =huge= consideration, IMO. Going with the better-built rig (IMO Northwood) from the get-go, could save you hassles like this.

The Jayco =is= bigger, but how often do you think you'll use that outside kitchen? If almost never, then it's wasted space. Only real way to tell is to find one of each and take the whole fam-damily and spend 1-2 hours in each one and see what they say, =especially= the kids! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco appears to have more inside storage, and the television viewing angle is much better. Just seems to be more livable.

Skirting the front cap and sides will help with cold weather living, but you are still going to use a bunch of propane
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us