cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lubing bevel gears in landing gear legs

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my landing gear are the standard Lippert type. I have the single motor system. The landing gear motor sounds like it's working way too hard to lift the front of the trailer. I have already drilled holes just above the first leg support bracket on each side and injected white lithium grease onto the leadscrew. While still on the truck, I ran the gear up and down several times and things quieted down significantly with no load on the gear. With the load of the trailer, it is definitely improved after lubing (doesn't stop and trip the breaker or break the shaft bolt). However, I think it's still moaning and groaning more than it should and the motor seems to be straining an awful lot. Before I bite the bullet and install a dual motor system (Bulldog, etc.), I thought I would try to lube the bevel gears at the tops of the legs. Can I just pry the top caps of the legs off with a screwdriver and squirt some lube down from the top?

FWIW, when the bolt had sheared off on the shaft going to the trail leg, I was able to easily raise the trailer using just the lead leg (fairly quiet with little strain on the motor). Doesn't this suggest there's an issue in the trail leg?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
20 REPLIES 20

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried raising the trailer using the manual crank? I would try raising it while trailer is connected to TV & also try with trailer disconnected from truck. That may tell if something is binding.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you should be able to see/feel & apply grease with your finger to the bevel gears, as they are not far below the covers. Your plan sounds like what I would do. I do like the dual motor set up. Measuring the voltage at the motor while lifting is also a good idea as you may have a bad connection causing voltage drop somewhere between the motor & battery. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Don't you or anyone else run the gear motor, with your fingers anywhere near the gears.

From your description, it does sound like the shaft driven leg has some binding going on, causing strain on the motor.

Jerry

Agreed on both counts!

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Does the 'inner leg' (pin one) slide up and down easily inside the driven leg?

Yes you can just pop cover off top and lube the bevel gears.

Have you measured the voltage going to landing gear motor while it is operating?
Voltage drop increases amp draw and slower motor operation.

The leg extension (with the holes in it) slides easily in both legs. The driven part of the leg appears to slide easily with no weight on it.

I haven't measured the voltage. With the driven leg disconnected, the drive leg alone will raise the coach without much straining. From that, I assumed the motor was working fine. The extra load of the driven leg is what appears to be putting it over the edge.

My plan is to lube the bevel gears on both sides. If that doesn't do it, I will remove the driven leg and tear it down. If not repairable, I'll have to decide between replacing just that leg or upgrading to a dual motor setup.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the 'inner leg' (pin one) slide up and down easily inside the driven leg?

Yes you can just pop cover off top and lube the bevel gears.

Have you measured the voltage going to landing gear motor while it is operating?
Voltage drop increases amp draw and slower motor operation.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With the top removed, you should be able to see/feel the bevel gears, as they are not far below the covers. I would just take some all purpose grease in my fingers and smear on the bevel gears.

Don't you or anyone else run the gear motor, with your fingers anywhere near the gears.

From your description, it does sound like the shaft driven leg has some binding going on, causing strain on the motor.

Jerry