cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lubing front legs

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
What the proper lube and procedure for lubing the front landing gear legs?
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
6 REPLIES 6

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
fireguy60 wrote:
NO GREASE. I bought my unit used and the previous owner greased the legs. Now they are sticky and full of grit and dirt. Haven't been able to get it all cleaned off.

LPS makes an excellent PTFE dry lubricant that I use for work, I'm sure it would work great for the landing gear if I get the grease cleaned off.
Yep, my point exactly (see post above) - I left mine on the truck and raised the outer leg as high as they would go, took off the foot and the inside leg came out of the tube, which made cleaning lots easier...I got up into the outer tube as best I could but haven't gotten them cleaned up properly yet.

Tim

fireguy60
Explorer
Explorer
NO GREASE. I bought my unit used and the previous owner greased the legs. Now they are sticky and full of grit and dirt. Haven't been able to get it all cleaned off.

LPS makes an excellent PTFE dry lubricant that I use for work, I'm sure it would work great for the landing gear if I get the grease cleaned off.
fireguy60

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Besides lubing the gears on top. You need to lube the acme thread shaft that runs inside the tubes. Since you can't get the bottom leg off to get to it. I drilled a hole toward the top in the side of each of the square tubes. Then I extend the leg till I can see the acme thread shaft. Then I take a oil squirt can with synthetic gear oil. I put the end of the oil can against the shaft and pull the trigger around 20 times. Do that with the other side. After a while it will drip out the bottom for you to wipe the access off.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, don't use grease on the inner and outer tubes! The grease will eventually dry out and get sticky - takes two hands to lift them. I just spent a couple hours cleaning mine so they would slide. I had to take a putty knife and scrape off the old grease, then used silicone spray for the lube part. I need to clean the inner part of the upper tube to get them perfect, but that is a job I will tackle another day...

Tim

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pop the little cover on top of legs and add a glop of grease onto the bevel gears.
Then with 5vr hooked up to truck....I drop the inner tube fully and spray it down with a dry graphite lube. Retract the inner and then fully extend the outer driven tube and spray it down with the dry graphite lube.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I just use spray silicone.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags