cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Major changes to Lifestyle, Alpha Gold

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
Beginning Oct 1, Lifestyle (and Alpha Gold) are no longer making their own (Titan) frame in house. They are now contracting the work to Lippert, going to the I-Frame (lifestyle spec), which means no more full wall slide. This affects 2017 models, any 2016 models on the lots will have the Titan frame. A bad sign for them and the industry IMO.

Additionally Alpha Gold is now a Toy Hauler only (alongside Tesla) for 2017+. The Storage Room/Motorcycle Room floor plan will now be a Lifestyle exclusive.

I got this information over the phone from a Lifestyle regional sales manager.
2015 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 5.7L
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS, Hensley SwiftArrow
15 REPLIES 15

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Bodie217:

stopped and looked at one of the new LifeStyle Alfa Gold fifth wheels some months back now.

It was their rear kitchen model, and really liked the floor plan.

Anyway, talking to the dealer about the Alfa name. Talked about how it used to belong to another manufacturer for fifth wheels, and had been a highly regarded, quality unit at the time it was made.

Dealer said the former owner of Alfa, who appeared to still have copyright to the name, approached LifeStyle with the idea of resurrecting the name brand again, and selling the Alfa name to LifeStyle. The former owner had been contacted by the new Carriage owners, but didn't want to sell the name to them for whatever reason.

So take it for what it is worth. Remember, it was a dealer/salesman talking, so who knows how correct it was. But I assumed he would know a little about the subject.

The owners of the original Carriage are now running LifeStyle, so it does appear they're at least licensing the name. Very similar to how CrossRoads RV is now making the Carriage and Cameo lines.

It's kind of funny to me that this sort of thing happens in the RV industry. It would be like if the guys who own Chevy/GM decided they wanted to leave and go to Fiat/Dodge and rebirth the Camaro brand as a Dodge.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Bodie217:

stopped and looked at one of the new LifeStyle Alfa Gold fifth wheels some months back now.

It was their rear kitchen model, and really liked the floor plan.

Anyway, talking to the dealer about the Alfa name. Talked about how it used to belong to another manufacturer for fifth wheels, and had been a highly regarded, quality unit at the time it was made.

Dealer said the former owner of Alfa, who appeared to still have copyright to the name, approached LifeStyle with the idea of resurrecting the name brand again, and selling the Alfa name to LifeStyle. The former owner had been contacted by the new Carriage owners, but didn't want to sell the name to them for whatever reason.

So take it for what it is worth. Remember, it was a dealer/salesman talking, so who knows how correct it was. But I assumed he would know a little about the subject.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Alfa Leisure was one of the victims of the financial crash of 2008, although internal problems (delamination of sidewalls, electrical wiring problems, etc.) led up to their demise. Alfa Leisure produced the Alfa Gold 5th wheels (a high line 5th wheel in its day) and, later, Alfa motorhomes. A brief summary of the company and their demise can be read HERE.

All I see now is people trying to build something off the (questionable, IMHO) Alfa reputation.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty, good to know. Also, nice rig, quite jealous ๐Ÿ˜‰

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Alfa Leisure was one of the victims of the financial crash of 2008, although internal problems (delamination of sidewalls, electrical wiring problems, etc.) led up to their demise. Alfa Leisure produced the Alfa Gold 5th wheels (a high line 5th wheel in its day) and, later, Alfa motorhomes. A brief summary of the company and their demise can be read HERE.

All I see now is people trying to build something off the (questionable, IMHO) Alfa reputation.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bodie217 wrote:
I think you may be confusing Alfa with Alpha Gold.
I'll stop now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Bodie217 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Is that the same as Alfa?
Evergreen makes the Lifestyle Luxury RV brand, and the Alpha Gold brand. .
Alfa, got it.

I think you may be confusing Alfa with Alpha Gold. They're unrelated, totally different entities. Alfa is a maker of small cheap travel trailers (at least they used to be). Alpha Gold (not Alfa, notice the spelling difference) is owned by Evergreen, which does not own Alfa.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Bodie217 wrote:
Does anyone know what model years had the Titan frame? I know from at least 2012-2016, but not sure when they first started making the Titan frame (stacked box).

The crappy part for uneducated customers, is that they're calling this new Lippert I-Beam frame the "Titan v2'.

From what I can tell, the Titan frame is a Lifestyle invention made in the shadow of the Carriage frame.

ANd the stacked box section frame is DRVs claim to fame as well. Now that Thor owns DRV, I wonder how long until they go back to a channel and I-beam frame?

Ken

I see no indication of Thor-dictated design changes at this point. Why would they want to drop a design that differentiates DRV in the marketplace? As far as "going back" to a channel and I beam frame, DRV has NEVER used a channel or I beam frame on the Mobile and Elite Suites, so how can you go back to a design you've never used?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Bodie217 wrote:
Does anyone know what model years had the Titan frame? I know from at least 2012-2016, but not sure when they first started making the Titan frame (stacked box).

The crappy part for uneducated customers, is that they're calling this new Lippert I-Beam frame the "Titan v2'.

From what I can tell, the Titan frame is a Lifestyle invention made in the shadow of the Carriage frame.

ANd the stacked box section frame is DRVs claim to fame as well. Now that Thor owns DRV, I wonder how long until they go back to a channel and I-beam frame?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Bodie217 wrote:

George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Another quality builder bites the dust.

Ken

That is a debatable subject. ๐Ÿ™‚
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bodie217 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Evergreen makes the Lifestyle Luxury RV brand, and the Alpha Gold brand. .
Alfa, got it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Evergreen makes the Lifestyle Luxury RV brand, and the Alpha Gold brand. They are very similar, with the Lifestyle being the higher-end (more expensive) brand.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another quality builder bites the dust.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot