cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin LT failure

SeniorGNC
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I never expected to be writing this but I had a blowout on my second set of Michelin 16” LT load range E tires. They were only a year old.

We were on our way back to Houston Tx a week ago from a long summer vacation loop through the southwest desert. (About a 3000 mile pull.) On the last day just a couple of hundred miles north of home on US 84 we lost a tire to what the tire store manager called a catastrophic blowout. (There were just some inner casing pieces between the beads.) This was during the heat wave, I think the outside air temperature was about 103 degF. I pull at 60 mph, checked my tire pressure in the morning as I started and thought I was good. All that came to an end when a car pulled up next to me and held up a sign saying “blowout”. Bummer.

I could not even tell I was down a tire. There was no indication based on handling. Last time I scaled I was about 8600 lbs total on the two 5200 lb trailer axles.

Now I don’t feel so invincible tire wise. It cold have been due to a bad tire, a leaky valve stem, road hazard, who knows?

Maybe it is time for RIBs on the trailer and a tire pressure monitoring system.

Good thing I carry a tire changing ramp and DOT triangles.

Oh well, time to go fix the damage to the trailer…
Kevin, DW, 2 DDs, a cat & a rabbit (yes, we camp with a rabbit!)
1996 F-350, 7.3, manual, exhaust brake
2003 KZ Sportsman 5th, 30' bunkhouse
Disc brake upgrade (DIY)
131 REPLIES 131

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have Michelin XPS Ribs on my 5er, 5 yrs and about 16,000 miles. Have been run at 65-70 across the Texas panhandle several times in temps up to 108 (by the truck outside temp display). Tires show very little wear and no weather checking. I may add 2-3 pounds of air at the start of a season and they are good the rest of the year.
Have used Michelin on my trucks and wife's cars/SUVs for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles and never a blowout and only a couple of flats. Actually never a true flat, just a low tire I noticed and had repaired before it went flat.
I did add a TPMS this year. Interesting to watch the pressures and temps. Pressures consistently rose 8-10 pounds after a period of highway driving. Temps on shady side barely rose above ambient air temp. Tires on sunny side rose 10-15 degrees above air temp. Comforting to be able to see the pressures/temps at any time to know how the tires are doing.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Op does not have a TPMS. I have had 3 blowouts, all ST tires. Never heard any of them. Last 2 had TPMS and I was alerted before damage. Not unusual to have blowouts and not hear them.

That was a rhetorical question as I knew he didn't have one or he wouldn't have been posting about having had a problem. Is there something to be learned here? I think so.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, you may have had a puncture, or loose valve stem, then ran it until it shredded. I had about 8 massive blowouts with Goodyear tires before I finally got wise and switched to the Michelins. We never missed a Goodyear blowout; it sounded like a stick of dynamite went off beside the road and rubber bits went everywhere; no one ever had to tell us. I've been using those same Michelins for about 10 years now and never a problem, not even a flat; except one time in the trailer shed when I had a loose valve stem and it went flat.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Op does not have a TPMS. I have had 3 blowouts, all ST tires. Never heard any of them. Last 2 had TPMS and I was alerted before damage. Not unusual to have blowouts and not hear them.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Why didn't your TPMS alert you of impending failure?
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
SeniorGNC wrote:
Well, I never expected to be writing this but I had a blowout on my second set of Michelin 16” LT load range E tires. They were only a year old.

We were on our way back to Houston Tx a week ago from a long summer vacation loop through the southwest desert. (About a 3000 mile pull.) On the last day just a couple of hundred miles north of home on US 84 we lost a tire to what the tire store manager called a catastrophic blowout. (There were just some inner casing pieces between the beads.) This was during the heat wave, I think the outside air temperature was about 103 degF. I pull at 60 mph, checked my tire pressure in the morning as I started and thought I was good. All that came to an end when a car pulled up next to me and held up a sign saying “blowout”. Bummer.

I could not even tell I was down a tire. There was no indication based on handling. Last time I scaled I was about 8600 lbs total on the two 5200 lb trailer axles.

Now I don’t feel so invincible tire wise. It cold have been due to a bad tire, a leaky valve stem, road hazard, who knows?

I think you run your tire flat from a puncture. I have always been able to hear a blowout. A blowout is loud and you will know it as soon as it happens.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SeniorGNC wrote:

FYI, if they were GoodYear tires they would have paid for the damages.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm 8600 lbs is still a safe bet for even ST tires so Lord only know what happened to that tire. Could have been damaged somewhere else or maybe a factory mess up. But just the same I guess we have to expect tire failures even on LT tires since people get flats on their trucks and cars, just on them they know it right away and don't keep on driving shredding it to mini pieces.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin,

Bummer. Hate to hear these stories... of course, you
know someone is going to bring up TPMS. So there,
I did it in an unthreatening manner.

BTW.. Michelin LT's on my Truck and last TT... as soon
as Im ready to change out on current 5ver the Michelin Lt's
will be at the top of my list. I've had good history with them...

Glad nobody was hurt.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Im also running Michelin LT tires. I leave Texas and is usually hot but cool up here. I hate to hear you lost the Michelin.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered going to an ST tire??

(sorry, I couldn't resist starting it up.)
Bad deal all around, including the damage to your trailer...:(
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Some people believe LT tires aren't a good fit for trailers. I'm told the sidewalls are built much more stiffly than the ST's. Theory is when doing tight turns, the stationary axles on the trailer cause the side-slide that can damage the sidewalls.
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife