cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montana high country 338DB needs more batteries

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the 1 battery that came in my fifth wheel and add a little more capacity. I'm thinking about 2 Trojan 6V or 1 or 2 Trojan AGM batteries. Any suggestions? We camp with hookups most of the time, but once in a while I'd like to have some capacity. I like the idea of AGM for less maintenance but someone told me that all converters won't charge them. What do I need to look for prior to purchasing and putting these in?
33 REPLIES 33

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I had seen those at their site and I probably should have mentioned them (sold as Commercial quality). But MSRP is over $110 (Amazon is under $90)! Looks like really good quality stuff but . . .

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
You could do that. I looked at the MTS web site. They make the individual vent components, so you could add another outside vent (one for each 6-volt battery). But they do not apparently make the part that the vent hose would attach to on top of the battery. Perhaps you could make up something out of PVC from Home Depot. And if you could figure a way to join 2 vent hoses into a Y configuration, you could use your existing single vent on the outside of your fiver, otherwise you'd need to add another vent outlet.
I believe NOCO makes a box that will hold both 6V batteries in one box. Then I would just use my existing vent and drill a hole in the top and do like you say with some PVC or something to attach it. I think this might be the route I go.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
You could do that. I looked at the MTS web site. They make the individual vent components, so you could add another outside vent (one for each 6-volt battery). But they do not apparently make the part that the vent hose would attach to on top of the battery. Perhaps you could make up something out of PVC from Home Depot. And if you could figure a way to join 2 vent hoses into a Y configuration, you could use your existing single vent on the outside of your fiver, otherwise you'd need to add another vent outlet.

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I used the NOCO HM306BK models ON MY BOAT. They have small vents on the top. Cables are routed through any of those squarish protrusions you see built in to the corners of the caps. These also act as vents. So there is lots of venting - just not directly to the outside. They are good, heavy duty boxes.

My fiver came with boxes that look like the ones in your last link (has vent hoses attached).

I am not qualified to give anything more then an opinion. I don't know the volume of gases given off so I don't know how crucial it is to have direct outside venting. I do know that you want some kind of venting.

My fiver has the battery boxes in the front compartment with vent hoses leading to vents that face outward on the front. The batteries give off nasty fumes when being recharged so you do want some kind of vent arrangement. The compartment on my rig also can double as the genny compartment and because of that has cutouts in the bottom that allow air circulation as well as for an exhaust hose exit. Because of this, I would not worry if the boxes were not directly vented.

IMHO, you do not want boxes that have open drains in the bottom. Any liquid going out that drain will be acidic. I don't want something like that exiting out the bottom and being spread all over the bottom of my trailer. I want boxes with sealed bottoms.

I kind of agree with you, if I had a leak I wouldn't want that spraying all over the underside of my fifth wheel, that would make a mess. I think maybe I should order one of those boxes and maybe, but maybe not cut in the outside vent in to the lid of it?

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I used the NOCO HM306BK models ON MY BOAT. They have small vents on the top. Cables are routed through any of those squarish protrusions you see built in to the corners of the caps. These also act as vents. So there is lots of venting - just not directly to the outside. They are good, heavy duty boxes.

My fiver came with boxes that look like the ones in your last link (has vent hoses attached).

I am not qualified to give anything more then an opinion. I don't know the volume of gases given off so I don't know how crucial it is to have direct outside venting. I do know that you want some kind of venting.

My fiver has the battery boxes in the front compartment with vent hoses leading to vents that face outward on the front. The batteries give off nasty fumes when being recharged so you do want some kind of vent arrangement. The compartment on my rig also can double as the genny compartment and because of that has cutouts in the bottom that allow air circulation as well as for an exhaust hose exit. Because of this, I would not worry if the boxes were not directly vented.

IMHO, you do not want boxes that have open drains in the bottom. Any liquid going out that drain will be acidic. I don't want something like that exiting out the bottom and being spread all over the bottom of my trailer. I want boxes with sealed bottoms.

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
JCasper wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
Why not use 2 ea 6-volt marine boxes ? West Marine will have them. Or Amazon.

Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM306BK-Snap-Top-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B00316KU6E

or like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM426-Commercial-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B003VAUG5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

These don't vent/drain out the bottom or have a line running outside like these RV ones do. Does it matter? This is what was in my fifth wheel from the factory.

http://www.amazon.com/MTS-Company-200275-Vented-Battery/dp/B00KPR877G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457465...

That first link looks like something you could store your cat in.

I like the vent though. Can you daisy chain those together if you have more than one?

I don't know about using one vent for multiple batteries.

dedmiston
JCasper wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Like this?

or like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM426-Commercial-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B003VAUG5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

These don't vent/drain out the bottom or have a line running outside like these RV ones do. Does it matter? This is what was in my fifth wheel from the factory.

http://www.amazon.com/MTS-Company-200275-Vented-Battery/dp/B00KPR877G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457465...

That first link looks like something you could store your cat in.

I like the vent though. Can you daisy chain those together if you have more than one?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

Like this?

or like this?

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
JCasper wrote:
Lyle, Thanks for that. For the price difference, I think I'm going to buy the 6V batteries at Costco. For $83.99 I don't think I can go wrong. They are Interstate GC2. They are not the HD GC2, but still plenty for what I'm doing and $100 cheaper then buying 2 Trojan T-105.

That's what I did for my trawler. They will work great.

Out of interest, what builder/model trawler did you have?

I have had a couple of Albins. First was a 27 ft cabin pocket trawler. Still have an Albin 32+2. Not a trawler style but a great single diesel cruising boat.

Current drool boat is a North Pacific. Never going to happen.

Sorry for the late reply - I didn't notice your question till just now.

I had a 1983 36' Monk. Supposedly one of only about 10-12 that were built with twins. Mine had twin Perkins 4-236. I used a pair of Grp 27s for starting batteries and 4 ea 6-volt batteries for house batteries with an isolator between starting and house batteries. When I bought the boat it had a pair of 4D batteries that were about gone. What a fun time it was getting them up and out of the engine room. Never did understand the rationale for using them.

I always liked the Albins.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I have not converted to 2 6V yet, but I have been looking at NOCO boxes. Google them. A lot of marine supply places sell them and amazon as well. Also, check out www.tank-depot.com. They seem to have good prices on boxes and they look to be well ventilated. Just check your battery measurements as It is difficult for me to figure out which box is for double GC Batts.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
I put 2 6V batteries in last night.

Only thing I need to change is the battery box. The battery is too tall for the existing box and I used a marine box for the other one because that's all I had. RV dealer wanted $149 for one and that is crazy.

I've been traveling and just got home and need this to leave tomorrow, so for now it's ok, but I'd like a good box that holds the 2 6V better. Does anyone have a good source for those?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JCasper wrote:
Lyle, Thanks for that. For the price difference, I think I'm going to buy the 6V batteries at Costco. For $83.99 I don't think I can go wrong. They are Interstate GC2. They are not the HD GC2, but still plenty for what I'm doing and $100 cheaper then buying 2 Trojan T-105.

Exactly what I did on my current FW. 🙂 The new one, however, will likely have AGM's.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
JCasper wrote:
So, given the same exact draw, how much longer will a pair of T-105 last compared to one Trojan 31-AGM? I'm asking this because it would be about the same cost for batteries.

The capacity of one T-105 is rated at @25 Amps 447 minutes
The 31-aGM is @25 Amps 177 minutes

Does this really mean I'll get 270 more minutes out of them?

The "standard" to compare to is amp-hours and the 20-hour capacity is the one that you'll see most often. Given this, the flooded cell T-105 is 225 a/h while the 31-AGM is only 100 a/h. Even 2 of the 31's would only give you 200 a/h, less than 2 T-105's. The T-105 AGM loses a bit, being 217 a/h, but the lower maintenance, as well as its ability to drop to a lower charge level without damage, might make it a more desirable alternative to the 105 wet-cell. I'll be addressing this myself when I get a new FW, that's for sure.

Lyle

What frightens most away from the AGM is the price. Yes, they are high but all factors have to be considered. I have a 4D Lifeline AGM. Been there since spring of 2009. Expect it to see 2018 without issues. Try getting that lifespan out of a wetcell.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995