cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle mount on back of 5er

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I did some reading before I bolted a Reese receiver hitch to my back bumper for a bike rack and found a youtube clip of a guy who rebuilt the bumper because the 4 bikes that were carried on the back simply peeled the square bumper right off the welded supports from the frame.

Continuing on I learned that some of those bumpers are really not rated for much and if the sewer hose is stored inside they can start to rust the bumper out.

I've been carrying two bikes on the back of mine but I want to get a dual sport motorcycle and find someone to weld up a strong platform to the end of the trailer framing as well as a receiver mount to further extend the bicycles.

Has anyone done this and could you post pictures for ideas I can show a local welder?

Any input for pros and cons welcome, I have to chuckle when they rate those receivers for 500#'s, I want a Kawasaki KLR 650 and they weigh about 450#'s plus bags and gear and I want to be sure it's going to carry the load plus...

Thanks for any pictures and input.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
40 REPLIES 40

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your trailer manufacturer say about their frame and you doing this? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
And this one doesn't look like it's going anywhere but the campsite...

moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

Our first fifth wheel!!!

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I always try and keep an open mind, if you take a look at this picture I don't think this set up is expected to eject any time soon...

http://hydralift-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/hl4285-axle-wlogo-f.jpg

joebedford wrote:
Make sure you add a camera to the back of your 5er so you'll know where to return to pick up your bike.
Our first fifth wheel!!!

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look into these....

http://www.idahotote.com/photos/
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make sure you add a camera to the back of your 5er so you'll know where to return to pick up your bike.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Better have an experienced welder do this, as there are lots of pitfalls here. You will definitely want to spread the load beyond the last bit of the frame.
As mentioned, your ride may or not change. Same thing with the handling, you may find things are a bit tail happy. Regardless, be careful here, vehicle dynamics can be tricky, I have seen a good towing rig made into a mess with just the addition of a small generator on the back.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that is much different than having a hitch welded onto the back with the expectation to tow tandem, which is where I have experience.

My recommendation would be to get a good, experienced welder to custom fab the hitch. Might want to reinforce the trailer frame in the back (mine is reinforced all the way past the axles).

I am not sure if your towing experience will be the same, but with my little boat (around 2500 pounds with maybe 300 pounds tongue weight) I don't notice any different in the road manners of the rig. With my big boat (5500 pounds, over 500 pounds tongue weight), it really degraded the ride. Every bump was magnified. Still better than not taking the boat, or taking two vehicles though.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You more than likely won't even notice it back there. I had about 600 lbs. on the rear of my 35' fifth wheel and it actually seemed to pull better with it back there.

With about 600 lbs. on the back the front of the truck was about 120 lbs. lighter. Basically it wasn't that noticeable.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I want to incorporate the mount to the frame, not the bumper and while it will add weight to the back it will only be about 100#'s more than my secondary rear grey water tank (42 gallons) so if I travel with that tank empty it should be close to the same weight.

Again, I'm not wanting to weld something to the bumper but rather the framework of the trailer.

What I won't like more than a little extra weight is not having my dual sport with me when I travel.

romore wrote:
You won't like towing it, the tail will wag the dog with that much extra weight so far behind the axles. Trailer bumpers are not designed to carry loads for a reason.
Our first fifth wheel!!!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We need more test pilots on this forum. Give it a try then report back to us how it went, or didn't.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't like towing it, the tail will wag the dog with that much extra weight so far behind the axles. Trailer bumpers are not designed to carry loads for a reason.