cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting plug under box rail

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mounted a plug/receptacle under the box rail be left wheel well? That's where it was or where dealer put it on my '03. Seems that everything I see now is a hole is drilled into box wall between tailgate and left wheel well and plug mounted there. Factory has a hole in left stake pocket to run harness thru from rear end and just have to attach w/ short self tappers a couple harness clamps and the "L" bracket for the plug. Did not locate on either You Tube or Google where anyone did this. Nice thing about this setup is that the plug is out of the way of things. Just have to manually insert wires into end of plug.

If one has done it this way, what size tappers did you use? Is the box rail double wall? Distance between the inside/outside?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
4 REPLIES 4

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
If you are just wanting to mount a L bracket for the plug on the bedside wall, I would use either a #10 or #12 by 3/4" self tapping screw(s}, these will be around a good 1" in length. The distance between inside and outside can be any were from 3+" close to the bottom to 1/2" or less at the top.

Hope this helps some.

This is fairly close to what I want to do. The L bracket would mount underneath the boxrail and plug would go into it. Don't know how much of a gap there is between top of rail to bottom, but I'd think there should be at least 1/2". HOWEVER, the L bracket could've been mounted sideways below the boxrail and plug mounted like a normal plug in it on my '03. Sad as this may sound, I never once looked at it closely as it just plain worked and never had a problem.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
get the Bargman 7pin extension like this from Amazon. I just installed one on my 2012 F350. comes with the screws and a spacer if the back space is too tight.

I had a little trouble getting the harness connector to seat, but Cequent (makes Bargman) suggested that the gasket in the ford harness was dry, and a little dielectric grease or vaseline on the inside of their connector would help.. It did.

install was easy, cut the hole, slide the connectors and harness thru the hole, position the new 7pin connector, install the provided screws, unclip the 7 pin connector at the bumper, plug one side into the ford harness, one side into the connector.. wire tie the spare length up out of the way.. , push the ford 7pin back into the bumper bracket, done.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just wanting to mount a L bracket for the plug on the bedside wall, I would use either a #10 or #12 by 3/4" self tapping screw(s}, these will be around a good 1" in length. The distance between inside and outside can be any were from 3+" close to the bottom to 1/2" or less at the top.

Hope this helps some.

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 F250. There are 3 ribs between wheel well and tailgate. I used middle one. 2" hole. I purchased harness from E-Trailer. It snapped right into factory harness. You have to remove harness from back of plug by hitch, the new harness just plugs in to that and the new one. You will have about 4" of space between bed wall and exterior fender. The self tappers come with plug (4)