cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2013 Montana 3402RL Does Not Have a Gravity Fill.

renorvr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Montana 3402RL does not have a gravity fill to put water into the fresh water tank so how do I sanitize the system with a bleach solution as recommended by the owner's manual?

The “Keystone RV Company Owner’s Manual 5/1/2012” that came with my Montana says on page 50 to sanitize the fresh water system at least annually by introducing a chlorine bleach solution into the fresh water holding tank, then filling the tank with water and pumping the chlorinated water through the lines through each faucet and fixture, letting it stand for a while and then draining the system and flushing it with fresh water. Also on page 50 the owner’s manual discusses a gravity water fill in the section dealing with the City Water Fill and, inside the front street side compartment where the City Water Fill, the Water Heater Bypass and other fixtures are located, is a placard that says when I use the City Water Fill I should remove the gravity fill cap to allow air to exit the fresh water tank. However, there is no gravity water fill cap because there is no gravity water fill fitting. Thus, there is no way to add a chlorine bleach solution to the fresh water holding tank. The only access to that tank that I can find is the City Water Fill which requires connecting a hose from my house or an RV Park. The City Water Fill is not a gravity water fill.

There is a fresh water holding tank vent located at the rear street side of the unit, but it is covered with a permanent cap that has a very small air vent at the bottom. That cap appears to be permanently attached so it can’t be removed and I have no idea what the size of the vent line is or whether, if it were accessible, it could or should be used as a gravity water fill fitting.

Since Keystone RV Company recognizes in the owner’s manual that it is important to keep the fresh water system sanitized periodically to discourage “harmful bacteria or viral growth”, I wonder if the absence of the gravity water fill described in the manual is a defect. Regardless, I just want to know how to sanitize my system and all suggestions are welcome.
15 REPLIES 15

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might have to build a cantainer to put the bleach in that has a hose inlet and outlet. Put it in series with the city water inlet, and switch to fill tank at the docking station. Or buy an inline filter and prime it with bleach.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021