cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2013 Montana 3402RL Does Not Have a Gravity Fill.

renorvr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Montana 3402RL does not have a gravity fill to put water into the fresh water tank so how do I sanitize the system with a bleach solution as recommended by the owner's manual?

The “Keystone RV Company Owner’s Manual 5/1/2012” that came with my Montana says on page 50 to sanitize the fresh water system at least annually by introducing a chlorine bleach solution into the fresh water holding tank, then filling the tank with water and pumping the chlorinated water through the lines through each faucet and fixture, letting it stand for a while and then draining the system and flushing it with fresh water. Also on page 50 the owner’s manual discusses a gravity water fill in the section dealing with the City Water Fill and, inside the front street side compartment where the City Water Fill, the Water Heater Bypass and other fixtures are located, is a placard that says when I use the City Water Fill I should remove the gravity fill cap to allow air to exit the fresh water tank. However, there is no gravity water fill cap because there is no gravity water fill fitting. Thus, there is no way to add a chlorine bleach solution to the fresh water holding tank. The only access to that tank that I can find is the City Water Fill which requires connecting a hose from my house or an RV Park. The City Water Fill is not a gravity water fill.

There is a fresh water holding tank vent located at the rear street side of the unit, but it is covered with a permanent cap that has a very small air vent at the bottom. That cap appears to be permanently attached so it can’t be removed and I have no idea what the size of the vent line is or whether, if it were accessible, it could or should be used as a gravity water fill fitting.

Since Keystone RV Company recognizes in the owner’s manual that it is important to keep the fresh water system sanitized periodically to discourage “harmful bacteria or viral growth”, I wonder if the absence of the gravity water fill described in the manual is a defect. Regardless, I just want to know how to sanitize my system and all suggestions are welcome.
15 REPLIES 15

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Put the bleach into bucket and suck it in thru the winterizing port with the tank fill valve open.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple other brands drop the external gravity feed as well. Once one of them figures out how to save a couple bucks they all jump in. They all must think we buy these things, park them in full hookup CGs and seldom actually use them. While we're very happy with out new/used Montana that has one, I seriously doubt I'd ever buy a newer unit of any brand that didn't.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
You could use a pump like this connected to your city water fill to put the bleach in. Just mix the bleach with some additional water and pump it in with valves set as if you were filling your water tank

RV Antifreeze Pump
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

pengle
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Halmfamily. Put in 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of fresh water tank into your water hose. I disconnected both ends of my water hose so the air had some place to go as I poured in the bleach. Connect the host to the spigot. Connect the hose to your trailer. Turn on the water and the bleach gets pushed into the fresh water tank.
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2013 Ford F-250 Diesel, Short Bed, Lariat, Crew Cab

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
That is a little bizzare. I had two Montanas and both had the gravity fill in the back, and one had the tank fill at the docking station.

Now - I have the opposite. I have a gravity fill in the docking station, and no tank fill. So wierd how they decide how to do this stuff.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
The cap you refer to near the back street side where the vent is on the fresh water tank should come off. You may have to use a pair of channel locks to get it off, should not be that tight though...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you are not already a member, go over to the Montana owners club forum and ask your question. Has been asked and addressed there before.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
If you have a docking station then you probably do not have a 'manuel' way of putting water or any other liquid in your fresh tank.

On our dock station we have valves to position to do all functions including sanitizing, winterizing, city water and so on.

Check your dock ..you should have one.

Our docking station;

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My Open Range has a convenience center function/setting that allows the on board pump to suck water out of a container. The valves simply need to placed in the correct position and a siphon hose attached
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you fill your 25 foot hose, that is 300 inches, or 300 X 2.5 cm.. about 750 cm.

Your 1/2 inch hose is roughly 1 cm across, or 1/2 cm radius.

The formula for the volume of a cylinder is Pi X R(squared) times length.

So, your hose will hold 3.14 times 1/2X1/2 times L

Roughly 3/4 times 750... about 600 cc. A cup is 250 cc, so you might want to measure how much you put into the hose.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a docking station then you probably do not have a 'manuel' way of putting water or any other liquid in your fresh tank.

On our dock station we have valves to position to do all functions including sanitizing, winterizing, city water and so on.

Check your dock ..you should have one.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You will need to use convenience center as shown in video.
I have a similar set up on my Open Range
Convenience Center Video
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I fill my 25' water hose with bleach before connecting to the house spigot and then just flush the bleach into the tank. Easiest way I found to do it. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
So how do you put water in the water tank?