cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on 2nd Air

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a second air conditioner put into the bedroom of our fifth wheel. Should we attempt to tie into ducts our just dump it into the bedroom.
Please give me pros and cons of each scenario from real world experiences.
All advice is appreciated

Thanks!
Joe
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
24 REPLIES 24

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. For those of you that had it dump into the bedroom, did you notice an overall improvement in the entire interior of the coach versus having only one main one trying to cool the entire unit? Do you feel with the bedroom door open, the bedroom air actually help cool the coach better?
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Had second ac added in bedroom. It dumps into the room. Was too much hassle and cost to much to tie it into duct work. After dark we turn it off and open vents for main ac. keeps bedroom cool at night
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My unit was wired for a 2nd AC and the ducting was available as well. However, I opted for a non-ducted model. Reason, the factory ducting was really inadequate for dual ACs, there were just 5 outlets total and only 3 on the duct that was common to both units. So I was concerned that the two units running at the same time on the same duct would suffer with restricted air flow.

Instead, I have plenty of options. For rapid cool down, I can run both units at the same time with the main unit on Quick Cool. Later, I can switch the main unit back to ducted and let each unit cycle as needed. And at night, the bedroom unit can be switched off yet the main unit will still quietly keep the bedroom cool. Both units are still controlled from a single thermostat so it is ez to set up which unit provides majority of cooling when the rig is at a comfortable temp.

IMO you need to determine the factory ducting is actually adequate for dual units before deciding to add a 2nd ducted unit.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I added a smaller second AC in the bedroom of my bounder. not ducted.
bumpy

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
My rear a/c has a remote controlled thermostat. I'm going to use the same a/c unit on the front bedroom, as ducting and wiring is often already installed.

A separate remote control will work up there on the thermostat.

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
As Jim indicates...too much hassle for us...added the 13.5 BTU
to the front. Will live with it... noise may be an issue for some.
But, when it is > 100 degrees outside , we will take the noise. We
did like the Fantastic Fan (that was is the slot..) so had it moved to the bathroom.

If I had a do-over , I would have purchased factory installed , wall controlled (the
control knobs are inconvienent over the bed) ,ducted, 2nd unit to the front bedroom.
Next time.

Us desert dwellers should be smarter then that... live and learn.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure the ducts aren't already in place? My mh is prewired for the second ac. Currently there is just a vent there. Took the vent off one day to clean stuff and the ducting was already there.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your trailer does not currently have ducting plumbed to the front AC position, it will be a pain to do so. Removing ceiling panels, etc. I would contact factory with VIN# and ask about duct routing.

Jim

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
I purposely purchased my rig with two ACs - both feed into the same duct work.

Some days we can run the bedroom AC to cool the whole trailer, and the sound level in the living room is minimal.

Some nights we run the living room AC to cool the whole trailer, and the sound level in the bedroom is minimal.

And when it hits over 100 degrees - both run based on the temps at their individual thermostats.

Tying into the duct work gives you options. Not doing so makes it impossible for either AC to cool the whole rig somewhat effectively. It reduces your options for various situations.

X2

I would never want a non-ducted air, my ducted air is so much quieter than my old A/C unit was.

You might not need a second 13,500 Btu air conditioner, you did not state your size, of if you camp on 100+ days. But there are not to many rooftop A/C units that are less than 13,500 Btu's.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I purposely purchased my rig with two ACs - both feed into the same duct work.

Some days we can run the bedroom AC to cool the whole trailer, and the sound level in the living room is minimal.

Some nights we run the living room AC to cool the whole trailer, and the sound level in the bedroom is minimal.

And when it hits over 100 degrees - both run based on the temps at their individual thermostats.

Tying into the duct work gives you options. Not doing so makes it impossible for either AC to cool the whole rig somewhat effectively. It reduces your options for various situations.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT