cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need an opinion

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel has a 15K btu AC. Do you think I can run the AC on low with 1 Honda 2200 inverter generator or will I have to buy 2 of the generators?
21 REPLIES 21

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Opinions are plentiful on this forum! ๐Ÿ™‚

I would not bother just trying to barely make do with a too small generator. If you really need the AC, just get two small gens, or one larger one. While the Honda 2200 make work, when conditions are right, it is like towing with a barely capable too small truck.

Just a thought, but you can buy two similar sized generators, different brand, for the cost of one Honda 2200.

Jerry

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
You will need to understand where the power is going to give it a shot. Most everything else off or set to propane only. Still need 12v to run the controls so the converter should not be turned off but the battery needs to be charged. Also the higher the temperature the harder to start/run along with the generator will lose some power at higher elevation. Give it a go with one... worst case you buy the second.

[COLOR=]There is also a very highly rated soft start electronic control to replace the start capacitor that will really help if you need to stick with 1 generator.

The newest A/C units do better than the old so you have a pretty good shot at running on one gen.

A hard start capacitor is a 2nd cheaper alternative. Both will work. I would go with the second generator and one of the capacitors. It's only money.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
High or low won't make any difference. 2200 watts is only start capacity. Run wattage will be about 1800. Too low for a 15 A/C. Buy the second gen.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Running on low may as well not run it .. It will end up freezing up and won't cool on low if temps are hot anyway

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
A single Champion 3k would likely be cheaper, especially if you sold the Honda. Give you a lot more capacity.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You will need to understand where the power is going to give it a shot. Most everything else off or set to propane only. Still need 12v to run the controls so the converter should not be turned off but the battery needs to be charged. Also the higher the temperature the harder to start/run along with the generator will lose some power at higher elevation. Give it a go with one... worst case you buy the second.

There is also a very highly rated soft start electronic control to replace the start capacitor that will really help if you need to stick with 1 generator.

The newest A/C units do better than the old so you have a pretty good shot at running on one gen.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I shut the breaker off to other high draw appliances such as the fridge and battery charger I can run my ac with my Honda 2000.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5