cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin tire question

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere, either on this forum or another, I saw that Michelin was manufacturing a 15" LT tire. I can't find any info. Any help would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
I donโ€™t see any 15โ€ XPS Ribs listed on the Michelin site. That was probably why Lynnmor asked the question. Do you have a line on 15โ€ tires?

XPS Ribs

Must to have had a senior moment , I have 16in tires

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t see any 15โ€ XPS Ribs listed on the Michelin site. That was probably why Lynnmor asked the question. Do you have a line on 15โ€ tires?

XPS Ribs
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
handsome51 wrote:
dryfly wrote:
Somewhere, either on this forum or another, I saw that Michelin was manufacturing a 15" LT tire. I can't find any info. Any help would be appreciated.

I have been using the Michelin XP RIb for over 10 years and have never had a problem . My 5th wheel came from the factory with the chinese Tomax tires. They only lasted 7,000 miles.

Please let us know where you bought those 15" tires. :h

In Baytown, Tx where I live , I trade at Fullers Tires. I tell them when I want a Michelin XP Rib and how many. And they get it delivered from a warehouse.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Michelin Defender LTX 215/75R15 is a truck tire that might work for you.

After checking these out they are apparently 6 ply tires. Max inflation on the 235 is 50lbs. Don't think this is going to work on a trailer.

Their rated at 1985 lbs and work on lighter weight trailers with smaller axle ratings.

Goodyear has a LT215/85-15 D at 65 psi/2095 lb capacity.

There are no 15" LT E and one LT D domestic tire maker left on the market since 1/2 ton trucks went to 16"/18" wheels for larger brake systems. At one time we had all sizes and load ranges of 15" LT tires....no more.

My '97 11200 lb 5er came with new Marathon ST225/75-15 D load range on 5200 lb axles. I sold the tires and wheels on CL....dropped by my equipment trailer mfg for 4 16" 6 lug wheels. Mounted LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lb capacity and have enjoyed 50k-55k miles of trouble free service on two sets and now 44k on the second set. Still have the 15" ST spare which has never been on the ground.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
handsome51 wrote:
dryfly wrote:

I have been using the Michelin XP RIb for over 10 years and have never had a problem . My 5th wheel came from the factory with the chinese Tomax tires. They only lasted 7,000 miles.

Please let us know where you bought those 15" tires. :h

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
I do NOT buy tires with the assumption that the manufacturer is going to have to pay damages.

Perhaps this policy is a statement of confidence in their product.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

After checking these out they are apparently 6 ply tires. Max inflation on the 235 is 50lbs. Don't think this is going to work on a trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
I do NOT buy tires with the assumption that the manufacturer is going to have to pay damages.

Sorry for mentioning it.

How bout price?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dryfly wrote:
laknox wrote:
Dryfly, the problem you may have, is that you need to be careful what your placard says for tire ratings. MANY shops will not put an LT tire in place of an ST, if the LT is rated lower than the ST listed on the placard. If you feel that you're OK with being right at, or maybe just over, the LT tire rating, you'd end up having to take off all the wheels and have the tires mounted without the shop knowing what they're going back on. Right PITA, but thank stupid people and lawyers for that. :B Personally, I'd run a Michelin LT right up to the ST load rating and not even think about it. That said, I'd still look at the Endurance or even the newest Carlisles, if I didn't want to swap the wheels. If the tires you currently have are in decent condition, you might be surprised what you can get for them if you sell them on Craigs List, or the like. I know more than one person who basically covered the cost of new wheels by selling the old ones, with tires.

Lyle

thanks for info. My son in law runs a tire shop and he better put on anything I want or I won't put his kids through college!!

Seriously, I understand what you are saying. And yes, I've always sold my trailer take off tires on Craig's List. Where I live they unfortunately won't bring a lot.

Got a son-in-law who's a local building inspector. He knows the drill, too... :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dryfly wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Looks like my best choice would be between this and the Endurance. Just sold my 5th wheel with 16" wheels which gave me several good choices.

The new trailer I'm looking at comes with 15" wheels and I'm not crazy about having to change out wheels again this time.

Report back the cost of each tire please in same load range and size. FYI Michelin will NOT pay for damages as GY will.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Several other domestic tire makers have the LT215/85-15 tire ;
Goodyear Wrangler HT
Firestone Transforce HT
Cooper Discoverer HT-3
All have been recommended for trailer application by their mfg by email or a 1-800.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Dryfly, the problem you may have, is that you need to be careful what your placard says for tire ratings. MANY shops will not put an LT tire in place of an ST, if the LT is rated lower than the ST listed on the placard. If you feel that you're OK with being right at, or maybe just over, the LT tire rating, you'd end up having to take off all the wheels and have the tires mounted without the shop knowing what they're going back on. Right PITA, but thank stupid people and lawyers for that. :B Personally, I'd run a Michelin LT right up to the ST load rating and not even think about it. That said, I'd still look at the Endurance or even the newest Carlisles, if I didn't want to swap the wheels. If the tires you currently have are in decent condition, you might be surprised what you can get for them if you sell them on Craigs List, or the like. I know more than one person who basically covered the cost of new wheels by selling the old ones, with tires.

Lyle

thanks for info. My son in law runs a tire shop and he better put on anything I want or I won't put his kids through college!!

Seriously, I understand what you are saying. And yes, I've always sold my trailer take off tires on Craig's List. Where I live they unfortunately won't bring a lot.