cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Atlanta driving tips Quick!

boatscr
Explorer
Explorer
We will be driving south through Atlanta on I-75 tomorrow, 8/17/2014, and need advice on the best route to take. Talking to a few people, some say go right through the city. Others say the roads are very narrow and traffic heavy. Others say take take the I-285 bypass, but which way, right or left? I am not familiar with the I-285 traffic designations. Which is the best beltway side?

I am sure that any advice you will give will add at least a year or two on my life! Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
boatscr wrote:

We did leave today, Monday 8/17/2014.
Thanks again!

Glad to here you had an easy time of it, on Sunday the 17th or Monday the 18th or whatever day you attempted.

Now, for all the sarcastic comments from others about Sunday vs Monday......read before you post.....wise cracks against us poor stupid posters. Don't be so quick to criticize. You could be wrong too.

Having said that.....to get it off my chest........I still avoid the place even on Sunday.
Tom & Carol

boatscr
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! To all of you who shared your info.
The last person was exactly right. The mistake was mine, a senior moment, with a watch with very small numbers in the date window!!!

We did leave today, Monday 8/17/2014. We decided to use the I-285 west by-pass, with the option of going straight through on I-75. My wife used her I-pad and watched a local radio station internet connection when we left. When we got to the by-pass we found a 1/2 to 1 mile backup heading to the by-pass in all lanes. Changed right there to option 2 and went straight through.

Best city trip we ever had, without question. No construction, very few trucks, mostly good roads. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Noticed most trucks used the by-pass. If you doubt it try New York and Boston!

Thanks again!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
The OP posted the following at 0641hrs on 8-17-2014:

"We will be driving south through Atlanta on I-75 tomorrow, 8/17/2014, and need advice. . ."

So I'm thinking it was a simple date mistake and should have said "8/18/2014" which would be Monday - eh ?

Tim

perhaps people should just read and think before they post?
bumpy

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The OP posted the following at 0641hrs on 8-17-2014:

"We will be driving south through Atlanta on I-75 tomorrow, 8/17/2014, and need advice. . ."

So I'm thinking it was a simple date mistake and should have said "8/18/2014" which would be Monday - eh ?

Tim

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
How many posters noticed the OP was talking about a Sunday morning? No real rush hour and the best time to go straight thru.

I did and posted in the middle of the second page. Just shows people post without reading. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many posters noticed the OP was talking about a Sunday morning? No real rush hour and the best time to go straight thru.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I used to drive it a lot. Sometimes straight thru worked fine, but in the end, going a West around the city is much more pleasant and only a few miles further (5 miles) but time-wise most of the time faster.... Go around.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
I drive 200 hundred miles out of the way to avoid that chaos! Same for Houston, and Dallas! Avoiding stress and living longer...lol

Same for us.

Especially Dallas. I don't think my knuckles will ever regain their natural color. I particularly remember the construction which made all the lanes even narrower, and the GPS telling me to exit now, exit now....but because of the construction, the exit was not clearly marked, and it could have been a gps mistake which might have taken us down into tight streets with no room for an RV. Dodging high speed four wheelers and putting all faith in the Garmin, we took that exit and actually ended up on the correct interstate and made it through Dallas without having a wreck.

We now always go way around Dallas via Paris Texas and circle north to avoid that headache. We also avoid Atlanta by going west around through Rome Ga. and having a much more relaxing time of it.

If we were still young and had quick reflexes, pulling a fiver through those towns wouldn't be terrifying, but time marches on, and we want to age gracefully.
Tom & Carol

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Been there one time. Everyone driving 85 bumper to bumper. But somehow it seemed easier. Those extreme lane changes that are required to stay on the interstate in Atlanta are crazy.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta's traffic is bad but does not compare to DC beltline at rush time.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven through Atlanta several times. It's absolutely the worst big city to try and get through. Don't try it without a talking GPS. Trying to stay on the interstate there are several instances where you merge onto a multi-lane freeway, only to find that you need to be in the far lane to exit again in a very short distance. At least the GPS will give some warning about that. I would not try it at all if anywhere close to a rush 'hour'.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic is what drove me to leave Atlanta. It's always important to listen to AM750 on the radio for traffic reports every 6 minutes.

Driving through Atlanta on I-75 is fine other than 7:00-9:30 and 3:00-7:00 rush hours. Otherwise, take a right on I-285 going south and go around by the airport until you see Macon signs. Avoid the eastern side of the interstate/city.

Only time we see Atlanta is to fly out of the country on vacations.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
When we drive through we always stay on 75. I stay in the 2nd lane from the right and when we merge I always move 1 lane to the left. That way the sneaky exit only lanes won't bite you.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's Sunday!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021