cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice from experienced RV'ers! [upgrade question]

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2001 Jayco 32 foot fifth wheel.

I've kept it in excellent shape. In the past 3-4 years it's gotten a new roof, all new brakes, new tires, new bearings, new ac, new fridge. Everything works.

I've used it camping in local state parks about 5-6 times per year since I've owned it. I've had it since 2013.

I've gotten to the point where I'd like to go on a full time RV trip lasting several months.

This 01 Jayco could certainly make the trip but I'd like something a little newer and with more creature-comfort features.

There's a local 2013 Dutchmen Infinity 3860 with auto leveling, two ac systems, four slides, automatic awnings, washer / dryer, a space I can turn into a mobile office to run my business, and it's about as fancy as it gets. It looks like it was hardly ever used.

The only potential issue I see is it's 42' 10" long. That would make it more difficult, albeit not impossible, to use it in the few FL state parks I've frequented. I checked and all the parks do have some slots that would accommodate it, just not as many as would handle a 32 footer.

The question for you folks is this: should I keep looking for a shorter model, or would this one be ok for touring around, often without a reservation? Do the privately owned camps generally accommodate 43' fifth wheels?

Am I going to run into problems with gas stations, etc?

With my current 32 footer I'm pretty good at not getting myself into trouble because I've learned to look into parking lots and gas stations before I commit to entering, to make sure I can get out easily.

The extra 11 feet has me wondering.
15 REPLIES 15

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the 32' and do upgrades i wouldnt want any thor product