cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new converter

silverthunderro
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my original converter yesterday and the new one is bigger...My question is how much air space do these things need around them.I replaced a wfco 55amp with a 60amp powermax Boondocker 4 stage.Any advice would be appreciated......it is mounted under a cabinet with only a 1/2 x 18 inch air space....
2005 Dodge, 24 Valve, Turbo Diesel Cummins
2009 Copper Canyon Fifth Wheel, Reese Slider Hitch, Prodigy Brake Control
11 REPLIES 11

silverthunderro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna have to come up some different panals cause where mine is at is completely enclosed except for a little gap at the bottom of my breaker box I will have to build some panals with louvers on them to help give enough air...

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
The converter does need air,my oem Wfco 55 amp failed a few years ago,it was laying in the enclosed panel behind the power panel box loose and flopping around... virtually no air flow and ran alot.

I replaced it with a 65 amp Wfco and relocated between the enclosed panel and basement partition board (toilet/lav plumbing area) and mounted it on 4 rubber groumets,it now has plenty of air flow around it and under it.

The existing cables were long enough to reach the new location and its easily accessible now by removing 6 screws.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

silverthunderro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will make sure to get plenty of ventalation.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Two months ago had a 55amp Powermax Boondocker installed in our 5er. The unit in our Parralax power center was good, but noisy and single stage. Battery upgrade is next. My RV shop installed the Boondocker in an adjacent lower cabinet, then wired both to,a switch some imcan select which one to use. The old one will be used soley as a backup but in the cabinet enough air is supplied for cooling. Best part is we don't hear a thing and have easy access to the fuses if they ever blow.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 55a Boondocker was exact replacement into my wfco panel. The only time I hear the fan is when it has a heavy load on it.. Great choice on the conv. When it goes into boost the fan will be heard but after the batt is charged up somewhat I don't hear it.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the wfco fan ran lots then I'd improve ventilation if possible. The new one is far more likely to get to boost mode where it will produce more heat.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Your new converter shouldn't usually generate any more heat than the old one. The amount of current you use is a product of your lifestyle. If you never pulled over 50 amps, with your old converter, you will probably never pull over 50 amps, with the new one, even if it has a higher rated output. The rating is maximum output. Just because your old unit was rated at 55 amps, doesn't mean that you ever pulled that. It's like a car rated at 300 hp. The amount of time actually spent at the 300 hp red line is infintesimal. So, a replacement engine rated at 325 hp would make very little difference under normal operating conditions.

silverthunderro
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks for info....

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Needs a couple inches around the fan and vents. They don't need much unless you are charging a big battery from very low.

I would have recommended the MBA that fits in the WFCO slot. Or maybe you have something different. Powermax is a good converter.

silverthunderro
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it did....this fan on the new one I cant tell if it runs at all maybe it is real quiet

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Did the fan run lots on the WFCO?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.