cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New F250 and BW hitch

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I was worried that I might have to lift the trailer since the new truck is higher than my old 2500HD, and the new hitch is taller too. I didn't want to assemble and install the new hitch if it was not going to work, so I shimmed up my old hitch and lowered it into the new rig. I think the BW RVK3300 will work just fine on the lowest setting, which is what I mocked up here.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

21 REPLIES 21

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a quick calculation and a 2" rise at the hitch nets only a 0.526 degree tilt up. I will leave it low for now.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GMH wrote:
I was debating weather to raise the hitch 1", as I may do a little off-road camping. I will have to keep an eye on it until I am comfortable with it. If it looks risky I will have to raise it. I think even 2" would not put the trailer too badly nose up? Heading down a steep hill is where I will have to watch, heading up actually gains me clearance.Keeping my fingers crossed!

Towing slightly nose-high 1-2 inches, no biggy. Once trailer is loaded up, gear, people, and stuff in truck, you may be close to level, even with hitch up one. I would still put it down, for first run, to test. It can easily be raised if needed.

Jerry

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I was debating weather to raise the hitch 1", as I may do a little off-road camping. I will have to keep an eye on it until I am comfortable with it. If it looks risky I will have to raise it. I think even 2" would not put the trailer too badly nose up? Heading down a steep hill is where I will have to watch, heading up actually gains me clearance.Keeping my fingers crossed!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run 6" with ZERO issue. Yes off road camping would be different. Actually we got off the beaten path at Quartzite last year and DID go "off road" it was a bit scary but never hit once. Went thru some BIG dips and TWISTS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, that looks like you have it figured out!! These new trucks certainly are tall. I think 6" will work for you, unless you get off road to camp. If you had to, you could raise the hitch one setting, and tow slightly nose-high.

I would start on lowest, like you are figuring, and set farthest back from the cab. Get that 3300 together, and lock it in there, you are going to love it!:)

Jerry

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I think you may want more than 6" of bed rail clearance, I myself am at 8" currently and I've seen when I only had an inch or so left pulling out of some sites and even parking lots.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So you Canadians still use Wooden Rails like the pioneers? :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"