cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new fridge

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a residential ref. in our fw. For those that already did the exchange , how do you keep power on while traveling.
thanks
11 REPLIES 11

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Update us on your experience after a couple of uses. Safe travels.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the answers,
here is what I done,
first I had to trim the frame 1 inch on to and bottom, fridge went right in
I put a seal lead battery in a cabinet under the fridge, with 1000 watt inverter, also put a trickle charger on the battery, install a throw over switch($50) so when I am traveling it automatic goes to the inverted and when I back on shore power it switches back to 110v.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A Danfoss based fridge which uses 12 volts would be my choice over propane any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I bought a KZ trailer with a poor installation in the slide. Fiberglass scrap was blocking the venting and the upper baffle was never installed. I repaired the installation and no problems since. Because of the chimney effect, I will never buy another with a gas refrigerator in a slide and a large residential can hold considerable weight and that too may be a problem. Since we boondock in shade some times, I still prefer the gas since a bottle of propane contains a lot of energy that I would need to generate for electric only.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
It was installed in a slide which greatly reduces the chimney affect which in turn reduces the cooling. Rear clearance and venting is critical with the installation of gas/electric units. it took nearly 24 hours to cool down to proper temps even in mild outdoor temps. Once traveling, the temperature would increase. The longer I drove the warmer it got even in 70 degree weather.
I tried all kinds of venting mods, fans, door seals, etc., to no avail. Being that we live in FL and travel mostly the SE USA this was not acceptable. I removed it and sold it on-line. It functioned fine outside the RV in the garage (got down to proper temps and maintained) so I think it was an installation clearance issue. The manufacturers installation instructions are very, very specific and if not followed will make a difference. We know how RVs are put together so do you really expect one to be properly installed.
After reading of so many people unhappy with the Norcold cooling performance I said forget it. The residential cools down in 3 hours even in 90+ degree weather. It is the best RV mod I have ever had the 2nd being the RV Flex Armor no-maintenance roof.
If I had to do it over again, I would not have ordered the Norcold and then just done the mod as I did. The Samsung fit in the exact cutout as the Norcold. However, I pretty much recouped the added expense of the optional Norcold by selling it which paid for the Samsung.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
I ordered a new fifth wheel with the Norcold 12 cu. ft. piece of junk.

Could you describe the issues?

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new fifth wheel with the Norcold 12 cu. ft. piece of junk. Within 6 months I ripped it out and installed a Samsung residential. It will be 6 years ago in August and have never looked back.
At the same time, I swapped out the single battery to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries and inverter. I also added a 160 watt solar panel because at the time the RV was stored at a storage lot. I also wanted to peace of mind of having enough power.
We have never had an issue with power. The inverter is dedicated to the fridge and the solar to the batteries. I suggest getting an inverter no larger than needed 800-1000 watt max and get a decent quality one and be sure to mount it in a well ventilated area. Also, be sure the refrigerator is energy-star rated to keep power consumption to a minimum. At the time we did our swap-out, the Samsung was the most energy efficient of units out there.
You will LOVE it. We have never once regretted it. Good luck.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Inverter or if it's only a few hours, leave it off.

If you go the inverter route, make sure you either have a big enough battery or check that the truck can really send some power back to keep up...the standard battery charging connection is often pitiful.

Friends with a brand new rig, have to run the generator if they are dry camping after an 8hr travel day because it runs the battery down low enough that they can't make it thru the night. I tried to walk them thru how to address it but they were frustrated that it shouldn't work right out of the box.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
and hope your batteries don't go dead if you need to leave your trailer for a day or 2. You would need a small solar panel to keep them charged.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Larger battery pack and an inverter. You need to see if the fridge requires a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) or a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) inverter.

Also, you should have a 12 volt DC charge line from the truck going back to keep the RV battery charged while traveling.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Add an inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.