cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tires for my 16K fifth wheel

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my current Goodyear G614 RST tires for age and they are five and a half years old. They are load range G LT235/85/R16. This is the first set I’ve ever NOT had a blowout on. Basically trouble free. First question, should I age them out at five years? Second question, though these Goodyear’s have finally been good tires with zero problems, are there any recommendations as to a better choice? I am most concerned with no blowouts. I’ve had my share of experiences and don’t want any more. I am fastidious with air pressure and keep my TST TPMS active at all times when towing. What do you think is the best choice if indeed I should age out at five years. Thanks for any recommendations. I am okay with replacing these with the identical tire since finally I’m getting good service from a tire. I have relatively new HiSpec rims and don’t want to move to a 17.5 rim because of expense. Again, thanks for any thoughts.
30 REPLIES 30

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
After perfect service why would you search for something else?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Some have voiced their opinion on Sailuns . All I can add is if you want the best G or H rated tire on the market , that would be Saliun S637’s .It’s been proven for several years now , and the best thing about them is they are nearly half the price of the Goodyear’s . Or just settle for second best , and spend nearly twice as much .

x2. I've had mine for going on 6 years now and they still look like new. I would not hesitate to buy them again.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Some have voiced their opinion on Sailuns . All I can add is if you want the best G or H rated tire on the market , that would be Saliun S637’s .It’s been proven for several years now , and the best thing about them is they are nearly half the price of the Goodyear’s . Or just settle for second best , and spend nearly twice as much .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The GY “G” tire as you already know is a great tire. Personally I would run then to 7 years.

GY did have a bad run of those tires but that was 13 years ago and since they have been a great tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
howardwheeler wrote:
This set is at give and half years and I’ve not had one problem with them—unlike all previous load G tires, including Goodyear’s.

You said you will take long trips, when you do go. You are saying you had previous problems with GYs, just not the current ones. With this information, I would definitely get the Sailuns others are recommending. May as well do it sooner, rather than later. Like Rob mentioned, piece of mind!

Jerry

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
This set is at five and half years and I’ve not had one problem with them—unlike all previous load G tires, including Goodyear’s.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
howardwheeler wrote:
I just checked my current Goodyear G614 RST tires for age and they are five and a half years old. They are load range G LT235/85/R16. This is the first set I’ve ever NOT had a blowout on. Basically trouble free. First question, should I age them out at five years? Second question, though these Goodyear’s have finally been good tires with zero problems, are there any recommendations as to a better choice? I am most concerned with no blowouts. I’ve had my share of experiences and don’t want any more. I am fastidious with air pressure and keep my TST TPMS active at all times when towing. What do you think is the best choice if indeed I should age out at five years. Thanks for any recommendations. I am okay with replacing these with the identical tire since finally I’m getting good service from a tire. I have relatively new HiSpec rims and don’t want to move to a 17.5 rim because of expense. Again, thanks for any thoughts.

Have always used the G614 LT 16 in. Tires. I use them for 5-7 years depending on their condition. At 7 years I replace them all. I use metal stems including the spare. Never had one flat tire??????

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
When I travel it is usually on fairly lengthy trips—4000 to 6000 miles. But as of late I can’t get away very often. I did just return from a shorter 2500 mile trip to Colorado. I’m looking very seriously at the Sailuns. I believe they have a 75 mph speed rating. I wouldn’t want anything less. I just don’t trust those 65 mph rated tires.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot depends on the kind of traveling you do: short distances several times a year, full timing, long trips several times a year. Personally if the tread is good and they look good, I would run them another year or so. I have a little over 6 years on the Sailuns I'm running and will probably replace them next year if I have a long trip scheduled.

I don't think you can do better than the Sailun S637 tire for trailer use. You can certainly pay more, and they are made in China, but if you want a tire that you can depend on, the Sailun is it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My tires had a date code of 1513 - thought I could make it one more season, I didn't... They looked fine on the outside, no cracks, no wear, great tread. I actually caught one before leaving for a trip, you could see a big bulge forming that would have blown. It's not the wear, it's them drying out. On another trailer I had a set I drove 10 years on, they were an LT tire, never had a blow out, changed because of cracking. So, it's a gamble - feeling lucky?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sailun S637 'G' rated 4400#/110#

Better and less expensive then GY G614

Sailun S637 info
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
After perfect service why would you search for something else?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did you look for cracks between the tread? If tires are worn half way down, I'd replace them. It also depends on your use. If you still travel long distance, or stay somewhat local? If you decide to replace them, I'd go with same, as they have served you well. There are other choices, maybe even cheaper, if that is an issue. Many members are very happy with the Sailun brand tires, in the size you are using.

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
What I've learned over the years is that when you start to question whether you should replace something that very well could cause damage if it failed, then replace it. The peace of mind alone is worth it. I try to never start a sentence with "I should have......." and that's what you would be doing if you experience a failure with those tires.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
They are LT235/85/R16. Tires look good. No noticeable cracking and still have tread. I just know that I’ve never had tread depth be a problem on any tire I’ve had that has blown. They seemed to have blown due to internal problems. So tread depth seems to me to not be a big concern. And I don’t remember any problem with obvious cracking. I used to always keep covers on them but now they are simply in the shade.