cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tires for my 16K fifth wheel

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my current Goodyear G614 RST tires for age and they are five and a half years old. They are load range G LT235/85/R16. This is the first set I’ve ever NOT had a blowout on. Basically trouble free. First question, should I age them out at five years? Second question, though these Goodyear’s have finally been good tires with zero problems, are there any recommendations as to a better choice? I am most concerned with no blowouts. I’ve had my share of experiences and don’t want any more. I am fastidious with air pressure and keep my TST TPMS active at all times when towing. What do you think is the best choice if indeed I should age out at five years. Thanks for any recommendations. I am okay with replacing these with the identical tire since finally I’m getting good service from a tire. I have relatively new HiSpec rims and don’t want to move to a 17.5 rim because of expense. Again, thanks for any thoughts.
30 REPLIES 30

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Yes I am serious. I don't go down the road on the cell phone. Just wondering if something has changed. chevman

Yup ,still made in China ,and still the best G & H rated trailer tire on the market hands down. Yes the type of country that builds many quality products , as does many other foreign countries . As well as junk ,as does many other countries .

I too do not go down the road on my cell phone , but yes I caught the meaning.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I am serious. I don't go down the road on the cell phone. Just wondering if something has changed. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
sailuns still made in china? chevman

I’m assuming you are serious, yes they are . FYI our I phones are also made in China .

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
sailuns still made in china? chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
howardwheeler wrote:
Four Sailuns ordered. I will have my mechanic put them on next week. Thanks for the recommendations.

Wise decision , you will be happy with their performance .

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Four Sailuns ordered. I will have my mechanic put them on next week. Thanks for the recommendations.

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sailun!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
buc1980 wrote:
I use to have GY 614 back in 2005.They was a disaster tire for 3-4 years.That make me go to Michelin rib (not to good for heavy trailers)and then Sailun.Well that the tire to use now a lot cheaper and a lot better.

See you drive a newer more dependable Ford truck. So the HORRIBLE previous Ford Diesel record didn't steer you away I guess.......
Well, FWIW, I did have horrible experiences with Chevrolet products, and have never, and will never, buy another one. So yeah, a bad experience can sometimes totally bias you against a product.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I use to have GY 614 back in 2005.They was a disaster tire for 3-4 years.That make me go to Michelin rib (not to good for heavy trailers)and then Sailun.Well that the tire to use now a lot cheaper and a lot better.

The key words "A LOT BETTER ", makes sense . Goodyears were a disaster , big reason many do not trust them. They have improved ,but not to the point of the dependability of the Sailun ,and price . No need to settle for second best ,when the Sailun is available .

Yes the 6.7 Powerstroke is a much better motor then their 6.0 or 6.4 🙂

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
buc1980 wrote:

See you drive a newer more dependable Ford truck. So the HORRIBLE previous Ford Diesel record didn't steer you away I guess.......
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Replace them.... lot's of failures start around the 5/6 year mark. A friend I camp with each year tried to push it and had 2 blowouts within a couple weeks on 6 year old tires. Got me to go replace my 4.5 year old ones. It's just not worth the potential problems. Rolling around on new rubber feels great.

4.5 seems a bit soon, but 5-6 has worked for me. Especially the Sailuns . I think 7 was mentioned ,thats taking a big chance .

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Replace them.... lot's of failures start around the 5/6 year mark. A friend I camp with each year tried to push it and had 2 blowouts within a couple weeks on 6 year old tires. Got me to go replace my 4.5 year old ones. It's just not worth the potential problems. Rolling around on new rubber feels great.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
After perfect service why would you search for something else?

Well for starters nothings perfect , but there is better , and better weight ratings . Sailun is that tire .