cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RVing

DCHigdon
Explorer
Explorer
We have retired, sold our home,downsized our belongings and bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins. We have been looking at 5th Wheels for 2 months. I keep hesitating on making a final decision because I have read so many horror stories about RVs falling apart because they are not made very well anymore. My husband likes a 38' Columbus Palomino. Does anyone own one or have any suggestions. We are spending around 80,000. For us this is a lot and feel we can't go any higher. Some say you get what you pay for. Since we will be living in it and going across the country full time we want it to be sturdy. Please help some newbies start out well.
16 REPLIES 16

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is going to exceed your trucks limits. Think fifth wheels under about 30 feet and under about 12,000 GVWR. The one I looked at has an advertised pin weight of around 2400 pounds dry! That will translate of over 3000 loaded pin weight. That puts them squarely in 3500 territory and honestly into dually country. While new trucks have higher weight limits, you will find as you go bigger weights pile up in a big hurry.
Columbus is a relatively new name plate with only an OK reputation. Check out Cedar Creek Silverback for an alternative.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
DCHigdon wrote:
We have retired, sold our home,downsized our belongings and bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins. We have been looking at 5th Wheels for 2 months. I keep hesitating on making a final decision because I have read so many horror stories about RVs falling apart because they are not made very well anymore. My husband likes a 38' Columbus Palomino. Does anyone own one or have any suggestions. We are spending around 80,000. For us this is a lot and feel we can't go any higher. Some say you get what you pay for. Since we will be living in it and going across the country full time we want it to be sturdy. Please help some newbies start out well.

Congratulations on doing well enough to pull off what so many consider The American Dream: a comfortable retirement when you are young enough to enjoy it. I'm sure you will receive lots of great advice.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464