cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the group.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
good morning all. Just moving over from the Class C forum. We have decided to move to a 5th wheel. Wanting more living space. We purchased a 2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', 3 slides, loaded. Pulled by a 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DuraMax, crewcab, dually, loaded. WE are having so much fun with the newcoach. Still moving stuff from the C to the new coach. No hurry. Then out on the road again. We are spending so much more time out there. The added space will be nice. See ya's on the road.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
woodworker414 wrote:
Hi Cummins12V88, I Knew when I decided to go with the 5th wheel what kind of truck I would get. Like you I have seen way to many 5vers being pulled by a to small of a truck. Salesperson will tell the buyer that the truck can pull it. Sure it can. But can it handle it out in the real world and can it stop it?
Just my thoughts.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Cummins12V88, I Knew when I decided to go with the 5th wheel what kind of truck I would get. Like you I have seen way to many 5vers being pulled by a to small of a truck. Salesperson will tell the buyer that the truck can pull it. Sure it can. But can it handle it out in the real world and can it stop it?
Just my thoughts.
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
woodworker414 wrote:
Hi olddog49, we are living the dream. As you know we only get to go down this road one time.So its up to us to have fun.

Absolutely correct, Woodworker....As the song says, Life is a highway. Keep enjoying it all as long as your able.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
woodworker414 wrote:
good morning all. Just moving over from the Class C forum. We have decided to move to a 5th wheel. Wanting more living space. We purchased a 2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', 3 slides, loaded. Pulled by a 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DuraMax, crewcab, dually, loaded. WE are having so much fun with the newcoach. Still moving stuff from the C to the new coach. No hurry. Then out on the road again. We are spending so much more time out there. The added space will be nice. See ya's on the road.

Nice to see when a person gets enough truck right from the get-go!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ReneeG. Thank you. Yes, I have already joined the HOC and the HOF. Been thinking of attending the National Rally in IN, hext June. Really like the new coach. Can Harly wait till we hit the road.
Brenda and Bill

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Fifth Wheel owner's group. Heartland also has a owner's forum and some specific to your model. Have a great time!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Hi olddog49, we are living the dream. As you know we only get to go down this road one time.So its up to us to have fun.
Brenda and Bill

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
Way to go....live life!!

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DutchmenSport. We are maybe 6 hours west of you. Just south of St. Louis, MO. 2 miles off I-55. Yes its a learning curve. I had a Holiday Ramble 5th, years ago. Kinda of remember some of the stuff about the thing. Yes, backing into a campsite practice is very high on the list. We will do that with Brenda backing into my driveway behind the house. When she gets that down, she will be able to park the rig anywhere. Yup, the sperating systems of the rig are like any other camper.We are having a lot of fun. Soon to be on the road. We will head south after Christmas.
Brenda and Bill

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning Durb.Long story about why not west states on map. My wife who passed away 5 years ago. Was sick for a long time and the rig just sat. Then my sister got a little interested in traveling. She became the driver of the C because I have serious vision issues. Weeeeellllll, she decided that she did not want to be gone for any length of time. WWWWEEEEELLLLLLL, My girlfriend, MY SWEETHEART, my companion, loves to travel. Brenda does not mind being gone for a extended period of time. The tour of the western part of this country is very high on our list. Brenda is in the process of learning how to drive the new rig. She drives the C real well. We are a couple of seniors having the time of out live. See ya on the road.
Brenda and Bill

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new purchase! We've had our 5er for exactly 4 weeks now after a lifetime of travel trailers. We've experienced a really big learning curve, it made me feel like a total RV "newbie" having to learn everything a different way now. But things are finally settling down, and really beginning to enjoy it now. We're going to keep using it at "camp driveway" until it just gets too costly to maintain heat (probably by January we'll move back in the house).

If there is a single lesson I've learned with the transition from the Travel Trailer world to the 5er world, that would be:

"Don't expect to get-it-all immediately!" Everything about the 5er is different than any of my former Travel Trailers. Oh, some things are the same, like using the awning, flushing the toilet, running the shower. But after that, there's lots of things different, like towing, backing, leveling, hitching, and using all the controls for water hook-up and such.

It's easy to say this now, "Don't expect to get-it-all immediately!" But I didn't understand my own lesson to learn a month ago either, and probably wouldn't have listened to any one either tell me that. I wanted to know it all and I wanted to know it all RIGHT NOW! Well, it didn't work out that way.

Actually, I'm still learning how this puppy works. Actually, last Sunday I took the 5er out to a parking lot and practiced backing into a simulated campsite just so I could get a better understanding where that pivot point really is. Then I practiced backing in on the blind side.

I'll be winterizing, probably tonight, so this will be another new adventure and learning curve, trying to figure out how to do it with this camper, which operates the water system far different than my previous campers.

Learning, learning, learning. It will go on for a while!

Enjoy your new purchase! Have fun! And be patient! You'll figure it all out eventually.

Congrats!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Durb said, come out and see us sometime!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
No colored states out west on your travel map. Congrats on your fifth wheel. You should hook it up and make a west coast swing.