cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adhesive for installing diamond plate floor?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Title says it all. I want to install this over the existing RV floor specifically in the garage area. Many TH's come with this stock, mine has standard linoleum.

What kind of adhesive should I use? Can I just use something from Lowe's/Home Depot?
6 REPLIES 6

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When using ANY adhesive on flooring, you need a clean, dry surface to apply it to AND the adhesive must be spread EVENLY over the ENTIRE floor. If not you will get air pockets and the new floor will not sit evenly.

If this is in your "garage", you might be better just screwing it down. Use a "washer head" self tapping screw, but you might want to pay extra for stainless steel ones or something with a good moisture resistant coating. Standard screws will rust. Space them evenly along the edge about 12" and use an battery operated impact driver. Neat spacing will make it look like factory !

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
If you are going over the vinyl, not stripping to the subfloor, I would be using screws, not adhesive. The vinyl is designed to be a non stick surface so it can be cleaned. It is also softer than the diamond plate, so you will get flexing that will weaken any adhesive bond over time. On top of that you will be stressing whatever is bonding the vinyl to the subfloor, creating more weak points. Screwing it into the subfloor seems to make more sense.

good advice here IMHO
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going over the vinyl, not stripping to the subfloor, I would be using screws, not adhesive. The vinyl is designed to be a non stick surface so it can be cleaned. It is also softer than the diamond plate, so you will get flexing that will weaken any adhesive bond over time. On top of that you will be stressing whatever is bonding the vinyl to the subfloor, creating more weak points. Screwing it into the subfloor seems to make more sense.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Use construction adhesive....I would use screws on the edges.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That diamond plate seems like it would be really slippery when wet/damp.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
One option might be a double sided tape....3M makes a number of them that would work....3M VHB (very high bond)

You can call 3M directly and tell them your application and they will steer you in the right direction....

1-888-3M-HELPS
(1-888-364-3577)

Call Monday - Friday
8AM to 5PM Central Time
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro