cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie here with some hitch questions

ibboatin28
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first camper it's a used 2014 5th wheel Primetime Crusader 295RST.
I'm going to pull it with a 2015 Chevy 3500 DRW so I should have plenty of truck. It's equipped with a B&W goose neck hitch which I would like to use. In talking with many salesman before making my purchase most said I would be fine with the goose neck adapter. 2 salesman however said it would crack the unit where the overhang attaches to the body of the camper.

Whats the general consensus on this.

I thank you all in advance for any help that can be offered.
17 REPLIES 17

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch in place, use either the B&W Companion RVK3500 or the Andersen hitch. Gooseneck adapters add forces and moments (torques) that a 5th wheel frame was never designed to handle.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the B & W Companion fifthwheel hitch that works with your B&W turn-over hitch. Had that set-up installed in my new Chevy 3500 in August and LOVE it. I too would stay away fro a goose neck adaptor. It might be just fine, but why run the risk.
Drew, Lora & our two boys
Sophie our Toller
2016 Chevy CC, LTZ, LB, W/ Duramax & Allison, B&W Turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel hitch
2015 Grand Design Momentum 328m Toy Hauler
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally......

Gooseneck trailers are designed with heavy beams/supports for towing on a ball

5th wheel trailers are designed with light weight wide spread beams and cross supports to be towed using a 5th wheel hitch

Hence the different nomenclature
Gooseneck and 5th wheel

Just look at how each is built

Call me old school but I prefer using the 'right tool' for the job
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31