Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie regarding Trailer weight capacity

bhamlyn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone:
My husband and I just bought a 20' 2004 Carson Titan toy hauler. We have experience pulling 4 horse horse trailers in the past so we do have trailer experience, just not toy hauler experience. My question is about the loaded weight capacity of the trailer itself. The trailer weights 4980 dry. Carson says the loaded capacity for this toy hauler is 7000. When we add our Rhino at 1200 LBS, 60 gallons of water at 480 LBS that leaves us 320 LBs for everything else. We do plan to carry bigger items in the bed of the truck but YIKES only 320 LBS?

We understand the importance of tongue weight and the over all gross weight of our loaded rig and loaded truck.

We have more than enough truck to pull the load-Dodge Ram Hemi 3500.

My two questions are-

Is there any wiggle room in the loaded trailer weight?

Is there anything we can do to increase our loaded trailer weight like upgrading the tires?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
10 REPLIES 10

bhamlyn
Explorer
Explorer
I think that was someone else's question. I can not imagine putting a horse in a toy hauler.

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
bhamlyn wrote:
Hi everyone:
My husband and I just bought a 20' 2004 Carson Titan toy hauler. We have experience pulling 4 horse horse trailers in the past so we do have trailer experience, just not toy hauler experience.

I think it's been established that one should not try to haul horses in a toy hauler. Therefore, I dopn't think any attempts to increase the load-capacity of your toy hauler to haul horses would be worth it.
08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400

bhamlyn
Explorer
Explorer
OK, good advise, thank you everyone so much. I will be the one driving and I want to be able to be confident in my equipment, not constantly worrying. My husband is more along the lines of...just throw it in and let's see if it floats. I want everything right before we go anywhere.

You guys are great!!

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
First you have to weigh in when fully loaded water, toys, shaving kit. You have to know what your weight is. You can't use the factory Dry weight rating some weigh before they ad things like AC's, propane tanks, generators, etc. More than likley you are heavier than you think. Wiggle room? You are either under or over.. Can you tow a few hundred pounds over without having problems, maybe, maybe not? Get weighed in and then lets talk..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

bhamlyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your advise. I really do appreciate it. So is there any wiggle room in the loaded trailer weight, say a couple hundred pounds? The tires are rated at 2150 LBS per tire.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have less cargo capacity than you think unless you have weighed the RV. The advertised empty weights are known for always being low.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Oaklevel said get it weighed when loaded. Back off on the fresh water some for traveling. Tank up when you get there... Every trailer has it's limits and you have reached yours..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
When the TH is loaded Water & the Rhino etc. take it to the scales, CAT Scales or any scale to be sure you do know exactly what it weighs. Any options added since 2004 add weight. Or anything taken off could reduce weight.

bhamlyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you BD for your advise. We will check into that solution 🙂

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
You could switch to 5000 lbs axles and make sure the rims and tires are rated for the extra weight.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater