cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie wants to remove B&W Slider from bed of truck

RonnieBoggs
Explorer
Explorer
So I purchased the B&W Slider hitch and had it installed in my Ram 2500 diesel. Now I want to use my bed for hauling drywall, but I cannot figure out how to remove the base. The instructions say to loosen (not remove) the bolt in the center of the base and pull the handle located under the driver side while to release the base. This combination is NOT loosening the hitch base. I must be doing something wrong or missing a step. Could somone step me through the removal steps and assume I'm brand new...because I am!

Ronnie
Lake St. Louis, MO
Keystone Impact 361
2013 Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7
8 REPLIES 8

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new B&W Slider and had the same problem. Turns out it is near impossible to remove it yourself. I had two young healthy lads try and they were able to pull it straight out. First time ever I was unable to lift a hitch by myself. We added some lithium grease and it slides out now fine. I also purchased an engine crane from Harbor Freight for around $200 bucks to lift it out of the bed. Chances are you just need more man power to lift it. New installs are snug.
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
RonnieBoggs wrote:
So I purchased the B&W Slider hitch and had it installed in my Ram 2500 diesel. Now I want to use my bed for hauling drywall, but I cannot figure out how to remove the base. The instructions say to loosen (not remove) the bolt in the center of the base and pull the handle located under the driver side while to release the base. This combination is NOT loosening the hitch base. I must be doing something wrong or missing a step. Could somone step me through the removal steps and assume I'm brand new...because I am!

Ronnie
Lake St. Louis, MO
Keystone Impact 361
2013 Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7

You may have to tap the draw-down bolt to get it to loosen up so the cross-pin can be pulled out.

Lyle

I agree, I had that happen to me many times. A little tap to force the bolt down that loosens it below and allows the rod to slide out. Then like also stated it may have to be pried up a little.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe a bit of Never-Seize on the tube might help, especially if the hitch doesn't come out often. Worked great on the hub wedges and hub bolts for our Deere tractors.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
More than once I have had to use a little persuasion to get my base out. I have a crow bar that I use if needed. So far for me when I have had to use it it is just a bit of pressure needed, not much to get it loose. ( not saying use the crowbar to lift it out just to lift it a 1/8 or a 1/4 inch then at that point it has broken loose and lifts right out well as easy as it is too lift 100 lbs. You also may find it easier to lift if you take the head off if you haven't as that is another 50 or so lbs that you have to lift.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:
If it has been in the truck for quite a while it might be stuck in the goose neck hole. Chris

Agree with Chris, and will add that IMO, the new style, with draw down bolt, are harder to remove.

Jerry

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it has been in the truck for quite a while it might be stuck in the goose neck hole. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you loosen the 'draw-down' bolts in slider base?

Pull the 'handle' all the way out until it stops then turn it clockwise
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RonnieBoggs wrote:

Ronnie
Lake St. Louis, MO
Keystone Impact 361
2013 Ram 2500 Diesel 6.7

You may have to tap the draw-down bolt to get it to loosen up so the cross-pin can be pulled out.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member