cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newly-filled Propane Tanks empty in four days-not used much

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
I am back, pretty sure I got my breaker problem resolved. Now I have a new one with my 2010 Cougar. I have two 7-gal propane tanks, one on each side of the front end of the rig. I use propane only for furnace and stove and seldom use either as I prefer elec/microwave/gadgets etc. I went to turn on the furnace during a cold spell we just had and it was empty. OK, got the two filled up and installed them. Forgot to turn on furnace at 65 degrees over Thanksgiving, so it did not use propane then. Since then I have kept it at 65 degrees and on but it doesn't come on because I have my space heaters going and they keep rig warm. So I use furnace only in the a.m. at 75 degrees, then down again to 65 and it doesn't come on. My point is that I have not used up any of the propane I bought just before Thanksgiving. The red marker shows them empty. We have used the soap method to check for leaks on/around the tanks. All looks good. Local dealer said even with bubbles those tanks would lose only a small amount if they were leaking. One person smelled propane near the tanks. Dealer also said someone probably stole the tanks by switching them with empties. I tried to turn on the stove burners and there is no propane in those lines. The stove has hardly been used. Two summers ago someone came into our RV park where I and many others live full time and stole the gas tanks out of three river boats during the night right under bedroom windows (it was windy/raining) so I guess someone could have switched. What I am going to do about this is fill the front/main propane tank again, install it, turn the secondary off completely so it won't transfer over, and see what happens. I did run the furnace yesterday a.m. for 15 min. That's it. Turned it on again this a.m. and the furnace started, air blew out, no heat came out, and furnace shut off. That is when I checked the tanks, both empty. My question, after all of that, is between the tanks and the furnace and stove, which are close to each other, could there be any kind of leak problems that would use 14.2 gal of propane up and I am still alive having been inside this rig most of the time? I can't smell anything due to sinus surgeries, so I have to depend on others. Thanks
34 REPLIES 34

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Did they purge your tanks and get the air out before they were filled?

B.O.

My guess too...if these are new tanks and never "purged."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did they purge your tanks and get the air out before they were filled?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

JohnRa
Explorer
Explorer
A leak would be first guess, especially if someone smelled propane around your RV. 7 lbs of propane could be leaked out very quickly. I'd have a qualified dealer pressure check your system.

Another thought is, are you sure they got filled? Did they accidently leave the handles closed when filling? Seems like a long shot to me.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Sign your name on each of the tanks. If someone has swapped tanks you will be able to tell.

I'm not the expert, but if I could see that all my connections were nice and tight and my hoses and lines were not leaking - then I would check out and maybe replace the regulator.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you check the regulator for leaks......there is a small pin size hole that is vent for primary and a larger screened vent for secondary stages. If either diagram is cracked propane will leak out vent holes.
Also crimped area is suspect for leaks.

The regulator on off side cylinder (one not by changeover) has vent hole also
And any fittings on hose connections are suspect.

IF any one stole your cylinders they would NOT swap for empties....they would just steal yours.

You have a leak!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31