cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Qucik Connect Question

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a Mr. Heater Big Buddy for our 5er and it has a low pressure input which can be fed from the low pressure side of the propane system. I was thinking about Tee'ing off of either the existing furnace line or the hot water heater line with flare fittings and adding a quick connect inside the 5er for this heater. My concern is leakage. I have seen my share of air fittings that leak, not sure if the propane ones are built better and safer?

If not, then a 1/4 turn valve before the quick connect might do the trick?
14 REPLIES 14

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Etrailer and search propane quick connect with shutoff. $30.00.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an answer from another post that may interest you:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28668211/gotomsg/28673168.cfm#28673168

Sorry-link function is not working on this phone 😞
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carl n Susan wrote:
Check out this similar topic here on RV.net concerning propane heaters:LPG Portable heaters

Also this link is referenced in the above posting, but in case you miss it there, it is interesting enough to link to here: RV Heater

WOW some real bad information in this from the second link!!!
COMPARISON OF RV FURNACES AND VENT-FREE HEATERS
RV PROPANE FURNACES

Propane uses oxygen as it burns and gives off moisture as a by-product. Therefore it has the potential to use up all the oxygen in an enclosed space and kill any living, breathing occupants while creating a layer of condensation on the insides of windows. Yikes! To accommodate these unpleasant aspects of propane heating, conventional RV propane furnaces use a large blower system to bring in outside, oxygen-rich air. In turn, they vent the moist, oxygen-depleted air from inside the rig to the outside. Circulating the air this way keeps the oxygen level in the air fairly constant and significantly reduces the build-up of condensation on the insides of the windows, as the moisture gets blown outside along with the exhausted air.

Well an RV furnace the air drawing in for combustion, ONLY travels trough the combustion chamber and exist the exhaust vent! It is never introduced inside the RV itself. The heat is exchanged to the inside air by it passing over the combustion chamber.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check out this similar topic here on RV.net concerning propane heaters:LPG Portable heaters

Also this link is referenced in the above posting, but in case you miss it there, it is interesting enough to link to here: RV Heater
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using propane quick disconnects for over 8 years, and have never had a problem with them. I think the liability problem for the manufacturer would ensure they work properly all the time. At least I would hope so!
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the quick connect and valve.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bid_time wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
:h
you are looking at putting an additional Propane heater and connection INSIDE your 5th wheel??
This is a device that consumes oxygen inside the 5er and produces Carbon Dioxide.

Just like your stove and oven does.

Yes, but usually run a vent while cooking, doesn't make sense to run a vent to heat, rather run the furnace.

Sorry, but my Dad was a Firefighter, saw way too many deaths and fires caused by portable heaters, both gas and electric.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
you are looking at putting an additional Propane heater and connection INSIDE your 5th wheel??
This is a device that consumes oxygen inside the 5er and produces Carbon Dioxide.

Just like your stove and oven does.

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational
enclosures, having means for providing combustion air
and ventilation,
such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing
huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans.
It may be used for emergency indoor heating when
connected to a disposable 1 lb. propane cylinder and
for indoor use in commercial enclosures, having means
for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as
construction trailers or temporary work enclosures

Me I would just run the furnace.

Carbon Monoxide is the villain here. You are putting a lot of faith in the performance of the catalyst and the detector/switch. Some folks that use ventless gas logs in thier house report headaches, which makes me wonder about the level of quality built into these systems. Coupled with the chance of gas leaking: Definitely not for me.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to use a filter with any external tank. Mr. Heater sells them. Buddy heater burners have a tendency to get plugged up with out one.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My concern is leakage. I have seen my share of air fittings that leak, not sure if the propane ones are built better and safer?

IMO propane fittings much better. But still shut off valve is a good idea and built into system. And also very few of my propane ideas worked out with me doing the bending of the pipe or getting the right fittings and the first trip. Last couple of propane projects I just take to propane dist. Think I save money in long run.:)

(But I am pretty proud of my "torch down" flame thrower, works wonders on weeds.)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III

This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational
enclosures, having means for providing combustion air
and ventilation,
such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing
huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans.
It may be used for emergency indoor heating when
connected to a disposable 1 lb. propane cylinder and
for indoor use in commercial enclosures, having means
for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as
construction trailers or temporary work enclosures

Me I would just run the furnace.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
My quick connect for my grill has a 1/4 turn, and thinking of doing what you're doing...and will use a valve as a precaution.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Farmhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them on three different RV's and have never had a problem as long as each fitting is tested for leaks. I have had to redo the double flare a time or two to correct problems, but once in service, no problems.
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 PSD, Super Glide Hitch