cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Tire Problem!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I replaced my fiver's spare tire with a new Towmaster tire. A few months later, I was at home and heard a loud noise outside. I checked around, and the spare tire had completely ruptured, blew off the tread and split the sidewall. It is a load range "E" tire and I had it inflated to 70psi. It was covered with a white tire cover. I attributed it to just a "bad" tire, even though the temp here in Arizona was about 105 at the time. There was no evidence of sun damage anywhere on the tire. It was replaced under warranty by Discount Tire. It had never been on the ground.

Yesterday, the exact same thing happened again! This tire had a Date Code of 2011 (week 24). Exact same kind of rupture. Now, Discount is telling me to bring the rig in and have all the tires replaced (at no charge). Has anyone ever had a blow out on an unused spare tire that was inflated correctly and protected from sun damage? Especially when it had never been in use.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
32 REPLIES 32

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Your tires were 1 1/2 years old when you bought them. When I buy new tires I tell the dealer that I want "fresh" tires or no older than 3 months. Towmaster tires were on my new 5th wheel when I was negotating to buy the trailer. I asked the dealer who made Towmaster tires and he said he didn't know!!!!!!!!!!! I told him that I would buy the trailer only if he would put Good Year tires with a min. of 10 ply and "E" rated. I picked up the trailer and had Good year tires but "G" rated. Make me a happy camper:).

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TucsonJim wrote:
Last year, I replaced my fiver's spare tire with a new Towmaster tire. A few months later, I was at home and heard a loud noise outside. I checked around, and the spare tire had completely ruptured, blew off the tread and split the sidewall. It is a load range "E" tire and I had it inflated to 70psi. It was covered with a white tire cover. I attributed it to just a "bad" tire, even though the temp here in Arizona was about 105 at the time. There was no evidence of sun damage anywhere on the tire. It was replaced under warranty by Discount Tire. It had never been on the ground.

Yesterday, the exact same thing happened again! This tire had a Date Code of 2011 (week 24). Exact same kind of rupture. Now, Discount is telling me to bring the rig in and have all the tires replaced (at no charge). Has anyone ever had a blow out on an unused spare tire that was inflated correctly and protected from sun damage? Especially when it had never been in use.

There have been several reports on here about unused spares blowing out, even ones that are stored underneath and are never exposed to sunlight. Invariably, all are Chinese-made junk. If you're stuck with 15" rims, check into getting Maxxis. They're made in Asia, but not China. Best of the lot, in most opinions. If you've got 16" rims, go with a good set of LT's. Bridgestone Duravis, Michelin Ribs are 2 of the best. Not cheap, but cheaper than ripping the side of your FW apart.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
That is absolutely bizarre!

I would like to slam the tire brand or something, but I've never heard of even a bad tire brand doing that. Glad it wasn't the ones on the pavement.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish