cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.
42 REPLIES 42

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet that their solution will be to raise the toll on travel trailers so that it matches that of the 5th wheels.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

buckeyebob
Explorer
Explorer
well i ran 90 east to maine and my buddy was right behind me at the toll booth.35 foot montana,fifthwheel,his was a 32 foot travel trailer .way over 7ft 6",my toll 43 bucks,his 21!!!!!!his ticket said 4L,mine 4H!!!!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Higher vehicles are charged at a higher toll rate because they are assumed to be heavier , thus more wear on the road. With the lack of fuel tax increases which funds the State & Fed DOTs, they are shifting costs to vehicles that do the most wear.
It may not appear be fair, to toll an rv at 12' H the same as a commercial 12' truck, however the difference is in licensing and usage. They count axles as the determining weight factor.
My complaint would be about electric/ hybrid vehicles who use, wear our roads and do not pay any road use taxes.
Should they ( alternative fueled vehicles) be charged a per mile tax or a registration fee upcharge commensurate to thier lack of fuel tax for the use of our roads, then possibly a fair axle / weight tariff could be charged.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Suckers got me for 20 something going from route 8 to Toledo for trip into Michigan. They didn't get me twice. Took 75 down to route 30. Only few minutes longer and route was great.

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I found an alternate route. If the OT can't change my class definition, I'll keep the entire toll and see some different scenery. I still want to find out if they intentionally are charging 5'ers more or if they just screwed up.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Well if I take an alternate route 30 miles out of my way at $2.50 a gal for diesel that's $7.50 across Ohio plus I arrive at my destination after cocktail hour. The important thing is that the IPASS is on the DW's credit card and fuel is all on mine.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Call me lazy, But I don't have the time or effort to spend on the phone with some poor person that just works there probably can't approve a refund anyway.
I do understand your point, but I could not put myself through the hassle for $6.25

That's what's fun about being retired! I have time. It's the principal of the thing. If you don't complain, things will never change. And ask for the supervisor.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
The users of the OTP and many other toll roads who get screwed are the motorcycles. They pay the same rate as an F-250. 2 axles, weight less than 7000, no extra height. Ka-ching....
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I never drive toll roads. I'll take back country roads and drive through a corn field before I'd travel the Toll Road. There's always an alternative way. Maybe not as fast driving, but always an alternative.

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
We experienced the same high tolls due to our full profile 5th wheel. We use alternate routes now to avoid the turnpike.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Call me lazy, But I don't have the time or effort to spend on the phone with some poor person that just works there probably can't approve a refund anyway.
I do understand your point, but I could not put myself through the hassle for $6.25
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Did you notice the silhouettes? They don't show a 5'er. The travel trailer is a class 3. Class 4 silhouettes show a commercial truck and a 3 axle trailer behind a pickup truck.

The catch is over 7'6" over the 2nd axle. That's supposed to catch commercial trucks, not 5'ers.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
BC Jim wrote:
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.

I just went to there website it seems that price is %42,25 w/o ez- pass it is for the height over 7'6"
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD