cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onnan 5500 generator

JeffandRisa
Explorer
Explorer
had the new rig out Raptor 415TS with the onnan 5500 running for about 2 hours watching tv and such turned the air on and about 30 minutes later the generator turned its self off it started right back up but the light blinked 3 times real fast which said service needed. my question is there something to look at real quick before I make a appointment to have it looked at
11 REPLIES 11

Sir_Slink
Explorer
Explorer
probably the carb then i use nothing but non ethynol fuel

JeffandRisa
Explorer
Explorer
oil good I think its a fuel issue did it again yesterday but surged really before it quit all new fuel still 3/4 full so I am guessing carburetor issue will check the breakers too but today we had the tv only on when it did it

Sir_Slink
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
Mine has a pair of 30 amp breakers, no 50 amp anything. Possible overheat?

yup

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a pair of 30 amp breakers, no 50 amp anything. Possible overheat?
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Sir_Slink
Explorer
Explorer
you might also check the 30/50 amp switch on the gene if only the 30 was on and you turned on extra stuff it will shut it down

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
I guess the dumb question is what does the oil level look like?

You beat me.

Check the oil

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the dumb question is what does the oil level look like?
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Jason95l
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer told me to take it to a Cummings rep and it was only 4 months old. Mine would shut off after 15 seconds. Cummings had to replace the carburetor. It had a sticking float. The fuel was brand new and the level never went below 1/2 full.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the Onan book it tells you how to put it in code mode and it will spit out a code telling you whats wrong. The codes could be just take it to a dealer or a little more detailed which maybe you can repair on your own.

JeffandRisa
Explorer
Explorer
ya 5th wheel is only a couple months old so it will go back to dealer got some other little stuff to fix anyways. just wondering if I was missing something generator only has 11 hours on it

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Should be an 800# in Onan book. They will tell you nearest Onan warranty place. When mine quit it took 6 weeks to get an appointment. May be different depending on area.