cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

opinions: 2014 Palomino Puma 259RBSS

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at new travel trailers and 5th wheels since we sold our old one a few weeks back. And the Puma 259RBSS peaked my interest. Its a bunkhouse stick and tin build priced at $22950 locally.

I know its a low end entry build. But its in my price range for a new RV and we like the floor plan. Just curious if its one that we should stay away from.

I have seen them at RVW for $20058 and on EBay of all places for $17999. Im in CA so that is a 27-35 hours drive for RVW and the Ebay seller. I dont think I will be buying from them because the cost of the 9-10 tanks of diesel I will burn, lodging, and time off work will eat into my savings.
15 REPLIES 15

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, looks nice I'll have to check it out.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:
So I recognize Wrights Beach and Doran Beach but where are you in the trees?
Mark

Calaveras Big Trees SP.

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
So I recognize Wrights Beach and Doran Beach but where are you in the trees?
Mark

Griswoldfam
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! We have two little ones and don't want to really spend an arm and a leg on it. So this is helpful!!

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we purchased end of December 2013 and have gone on seven dry camp trips since then.
We like the extra space and the floor plan for our young family of four.

Our gripes about it is some low end materials like the carpet and some trim items. But to be honest we kind of knew that when we got into it. It is basically the cheapest NEW 5er we could afford. But we are still happy about the purchase and would do it again.

Here are some pics from out recent trips.

Griswoldfam
Explorer
Explorer
Did you purchase this 5th wheel? We are looking at the same one... just wondering how you like it...

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. It seems that the puma is pretty much the only NEW fifth wheel in our price range. Initially we were just going to get a travel trailer in the 28' range however the overall length on them are 33-35'. Most of our favorite campgrounds top at 27' and a few top at 31' This is why we changed our mind. The puma 259 is the floor plan we are looking for in a TT but in the nice foot print of a 5th wheel. I know its not high end but it seems like it would be great for our young family (2 adults, 3yo, 9 mo). Plus I'm 6'5" and the added ceiling height is great.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2014 Puma 253FBS built last April. Few minor problems that were easier to fix than haul back to the dealer. For a stick and tin (actually wood and alum.) it seems to be just a little better built. We had to add a ridge to the side of the tub to keep shower water from getting over the side and accross the floor. Also the drawer construction in the closet area needed additional wood to keep them together. As imperfect as that sounds, it was no big deal for someone just a little handy. We would buy another if something happened to this one. Ask wanarv.com for an email price. They deliver, but personally, I would always inspect at the dealer before delivery.

Impulse24
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 295BHSS Puma and my only problem is the bathroom is poorly designed, but overall I'd rate it 9.5 out of 10.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
From the inside it never leaked, no spots at all but the plywood was soaked and rotted.
Dicor (I think) was the brand of rubber.
Dealer said he has seen that type do that before. It was no certain spot just all over the top. I know it sounds impossible but its just like it soaked through all over the top. Just enough to keep it damp so it would rot.
Dicor says they are not responsible for any damage.
I never dreamed of have a rotten top.
Some might think I used some chemical on the top to cause it to deteriorate but that is not the case.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:
I have basically the same thing in a travel trailer. I haven't had any trouble except the roof. The rubber roof just started letting water into the plywood, no holes it just soaked through.
The warranty is no good, called Puma and they said call the maker of the rubber, called them, nothing, cost me $5400 to get it all replaced.
This was 6 years into a 12 year warranty.
Other than the roof I have had no problems.
Would I buy Puma again, no. I would get an older aluminum frame if there is a certain amount to spend.

That sounds like a nightmare. If there are no tears or holes in the rubber roof seems like the leak may have come from a seam or other seal. Were you not able to determine the location of the leak? What did the maker of the rubber roof say? Also did you keep up with the seals and seams as far are regular recaulking when needed? I read here that it is suggested to check at least twice a year.

Edit: also what year was your unit.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
wuhungsix wrote:
Been looking at new travel trailers and 5th wheels since we sold our old one a few weeks back. And the Puma 259RBSS peaked my interest. Its a bunkhouse stick and tin build priced at $22950 locally.

I know its a low end entry build. But its in my price range for a new RV and we like the floor plan. Just curious if its one that we should stay away from.

I have seen them at RVW for $20058 and on EBay of all places for $17999. Im in CA so that is a 27-35 hours drive for RVW and the Ebay seller. I dont think I will be buying from them because the cost of the 9-10 tanks of diesel I will burn, lodging, and time off work will eat into my savings.

You might check into the cost of a delivery to your door, or a meet part way. Just an option to think about...

Lyle

yea I looked into that. Its over $4000 shipped to my door from RVW and about $3100 from the Ebay dealer in IA

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I have basically the same thing in a travel trailer. I haven't had any trouble except the roof. The rubber roof just started letting water into the plywood, no holes it just soaked through.
The warranty is no good, called Puma and they said call the maker of the rubber, called them, nothing, cost me $5400 to get it all replaced.
This was 6 years into a 12 year warranty.
Other than the roof I have had no problems.
Would I buy Puma again, no. I would get an older aluminum frame if there is a certain amount to spend.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wuhungsix wrote:

You might check into the cost of a delivery to your door, or a meet part way. Just an option to think about...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member