cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PDI Question Here!

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we pick up our new 5'ver on Tuesday. Again, it is a used unit, but in new condition.

Here in OK, it is cold and everything has been winterized. We went to see the unit today and give the dealership the fireplace to install. While there, we asked a couple questions about the PDI.

From what we were told, the unit has been tested and retested while inside over the Holidays....all systems are running. The dealership then rewinterized the unit.

Now, from what they have told us....they will SHOW and demonstrate how everything works and that it IS working. However, on the hot water tank, they will fire it up for a moment ONLY to show us that it does work - since it is empty of water and been winterized. We cannot test any faucets, etc. due to winterization, but the dealership said they will SHOW us by doing a pressure test that all systems are working and no leaks.

Does all this sound okay????? Temps here in OK are due to drop down to around 0 in the next couple days and the high will be about 20 when we pick it up. I just want to make sure that the dealership's procedure is correct - or should they dewinterize, show us everything is working, then rewinterize???? The dealership told us they would do whatever it takes to make us happy and I just want to make sure everything is working.

So, your opinions????? Oh, I should mention that the dealership is giving a 30 day warranty for everything. We can take the coach home and plug it in, but should we dewinterize - check everything ourselves then rewinterize?????? I want to make sure all is in good order.
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC
15 REPLIES 15

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to give everyone an update. We talked to the dealership and they are doing the PDI inside due to the cold temps. Evidently ths is standard procedure. They said they would dewinterize, show that all systems are up and running and then rewinterize. The repair/service department did state to us that there are times when, in the winter, someone buys an RV and can't use it for 2 months or so, and then uses it and wham....something goes wrong. He said the owner usually fixes that.....now can I get that in writing??? Doubt it. However, this happened to us years ago when we bought the Carri Lite. Bought it in February and used it about 45 days later...mother board went out and the dealership fixed it for free for us.

Can't wait until Tuesday and the fireplace has been installed too!
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have them dewinterize it with you there then have them winterize it with you there as part of the pdi this way you will know and understand how to do it

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
I should say that the unit has been inside since December 23rd. We didn't notice this before, but the dealership did point out that there was a small rip in the awning and they were going to replace the whole awning....which they did do.

We have visited the unit 2x now since 12/23. It is still inside. While in there today for the fireplace, we did talk to the guy who is handling the awning and making sure all systems are go. He talked to Charlie (DH) for about an hour on this and that and showed him several things inside the coach.

We do believe the coach has been checked out, but we want to SEE it working....so we will call the dealership tomorrow, especially since they said they will do what it takes to make this work....and tell them we want it dewinterized, inside, with all systems up and working....then dewinterize it again for us.
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
Gooselover wrote:

From what we were told, the unit has been tested and retested while inside over the Holidays....all systems are running. The dealership then rewinterized the unit.

Yea. Right. And you can keep your current health plan too!!!:R

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
Gooselover wrote:
Does all this sound okay????? So, your opinions?????

OH HE11 NO THIS ISN'T OK!!!!! THIS STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!!! PEEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUUU. No Sir. No sir-ree Bob!!!!! Remember, you asked. If this were my RV, I would never, EVER, buy a rig during the hard winter you have in the first place. But if you just gotta have a rig right now that you can't use till spring, before I signed a single scrap of paperwork...

Your rig will be pulled into a heated service bay at the dealer, dewinterized, and left to sit for a minimum of 24 hours while the fresh water tank is filled, the refrigerator is turned on electric then later checked for propane operation, and propane tanks are topped off. Then a full PDI will be performed starting with a full roof and tire inspection. Then operating all faucets, toilets, dump valves, furnace, a/c's, water heater, refrigerator on both gas and electric, T/V cable and antenna connections, stove top, oven, lights, outlets, the whole 9 yards of a full PDI inspection. And items found needing repaired will be either repaired on the spot, or the rig stays with the dealer until such time all issues are resolved...then we'll talk about signing paperwork and transferring money. Don't even think about hitching up until a full complete 4+ hour indoor PDI is accomplished utilizing all systems. If the dealer will not perform the full indoor PDI, let'em keep that sucker and start looking in the spring...they just did you a favor. There's only about a thousand more rigs out there just like it for sale come spring time when you can do a thorough inspection.

I'd also bet a paycheck that that sucker hasn't seen the inside of a building or been touched by a technician performing a PDI since it left the factory. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK - (embarrassed) - I just discovered where my water heater bypass valve is. Hey - It's not marked and it's hidden behind some plumbing lines!) Since NOTHING is "standard" on RV's....LOL!! I'd offer to pay them a few extra bucks for the additional antifreeze - and have them do a complete system operation including winterizing again. Either bring a camera; or take notes because some of it is going to be a blur....

Our first time camping with our Class C (about 3 months after our PDI), we went with friends who had a Class A - and they happily went over a lot of little things like how to unfold and lock the awning arms, for example.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Have them test the entire rig. Why Not? Curb your enthusiasm and do a very thorough PDI. Avoid headaches down the road by finding any problems now.
It appears the dealer is willing to test everything,so plan on taking your t8ime and ensure everything is in order. You have nothing to lose but time and future hassles and aggravation by checking out everything now.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Could You negotiate the warranty to be 6 months or alternatively 30days beginning May or june 1st whenever you are more likely to begin to use it several times within the 30 days?

I did that when I bought a used trailer several years ago.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan on using the trailer soon the 30 day warranty is kinda meaningless, especially considering where you live and the time of year. if the dealership is willing to do what's needed to make you happy I would take advantage of that and have them de-winterize the trailer and go thru a full PDI.
Is it possible for you to delay picking up the trailer until later (warmer) in the year and leave it at the dealer on their lot?? Then when it's warmer they can de-winterize, give you a PDI and you'll have 30 days to use it to see if there are any problems...just a thought.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would be the one to say make them give you a warranty in writing so if any leaks appear they will fix them if you wait until warm weather to test the pipes and the electric rod in the water heater. BUT GET IT IN WRITING

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer's 30 warranty is useless since you will not be using the trailer until warm weather. Several options:
1. Insist the 30 day warranty does not start until a date you know you will be using the RV.
2. Make de-winterize and demonstrate everything to you then re-winterize.
3. Rely on air pressure to prove no leaks.
4. Take their word that everything is OK.
5. Just let them do your PDI in the spring when you are ready to use it and then fix anything.
Personally, I prefer #1 above.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought our Class C (new) in January - and our dealer gave us until May, to find things we felt needed fixing and bring it back for warranty work. Granted, this is Michigan and a lot of folks don't think about camping until May...

While I understand what your dealer is saying, and they sure don't want to tie up a service bay any longer than possible - I'd either get them to show how everything works - or.... give you more time to find out if there's problems??

We bought our (10-yr old) 5er after it had been winterized - and then got clobbered with relentless snow. Now we get to *hope* that the plumbing works.......
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
You paid for it make themdo it the correct way make sure eerything works correctly.do it right the first time

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If they have winterized, they put pink-stuff in the water lines. If they apply pressure (air) to the lines and if there are any leaks, the pink-stuff will spew out just like it would if it was water. So as far as that goes, I think everything is OK there.

The water heater will fire on gas, but if yours has gas-electric, you won't be able to verify the electric. You absolutely do not want to turn the electric on the water heater unless there is liquid in it, otherwise the heating element will burn out within seconds (like 5 seconds!) So you won't be able to test the electric.

If they are willing to unwinterize and then winterize again, let them do it. For your own peace of mind, and for you and their protection in the event something arises in the future.