cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pilot/Flying J reserve a spot

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
When my family is headed to a destination that requires an overnight stop we usually end up at a truck stop or rest area for a few hours to get a few winks before we take off again. I always leave around midnight and drive till 4am or so because I work third and its prime time for me. The kids are asleep, the roads are fairly empty and I can put in some miles. I saw Pilot and Flying J is allowing you to reserve a parking spot for $12 that is good for a 4pm check in and a 3pm the next day check out. This seems ideal for me since I do have difficulty finding a spot when I roll in at 4am. Just curious if anyone has used it before.

Yes I know it's intended for truckers but I read every bit of fine print and there are no exclusions toward the RV crowd.
25 REPLIES 25

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
So $12 for parking that is normally free? Just for the privilege of a guarantee?

I also drive late and park for a few hours sleep, but avoid the truck stops. I avoid truck stops, preferring rest stops, pull-outs, or parking lots. To be honest, I park wherever I want that feels safe. Don't even worry about postings much. Worst case I get woke up and asked to move. I'm going to be getting up anyway. Hasn't happened yet, but it could happen. No big deal.

So if you like truck stops, the $12 might be worth it to you. You might also get more creative in your parking options.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I have always viewed staying at truck stops are the absolute last resort. I would think you would get a lot of negative vibes sent your way if you start using reserved sites for your RV. In my opinion, truck stops are work areas for truckers. Using one of the reserved spaces, leaving a working trucker perhaps without a space, infringes upon their livelihood.
It would be a little like if some of your co-workers brought their children to work and let them play in the break room. They technically wouldn't be infringing on your actual work area, but they sure would be annoying when you were on break and wanted a peaceful, quick location to get a cup of coffee and some down time.
RVs have many more places that welcome them on an overnight basis than trucks. RVs are welcome at Private campgrounds and RV Parks. They can overnight at Local, State and Federal parks. They can use Corp of Engineer locations, national forests and BLM land. RVs are welcome at most Walmarts and Cracker Barrels. Other box stores allow them as well. Truckers pretty much can only use rest areas and truck stops. Truckers are a vital cog in our national economy, give them their due and their space.

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
After stopping in many truck stops in the past few years for fuel and a quick 'meal', there is no way that I would subject my wife to that kind of stay unless there was absolutely no alternative. Walmart or Cracker Barrel are reasonable though not the best alternatives vs a campground. Better to leave at 0900 then a Love's/TA/Pilot-FlyinJ, etc. Of course, it IS your choice but we have voiced our concerns.

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful out there. Truck stops parking lots, especially the large ones, are mini-cities with all of the crime, trafficking and prostitution that come along with those mini-cities. There are entire LE sections devoted entirely to truck stops and the crime that occurs within them. The RV demographic is VERY vulnerable to crime in general and it is extremely susceptible to crime in a truck stop environment. Double that vulnerability during the hours of darkness. Keep your head on a swivel, trust no one (male or female)and NEVER, ever allow females to be unaccompanied - never - no matter the age.

. . .seen too much that I can't seem to forget.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Doing most of my traveling from Ohio and heading south or east I can tell you most truck stops and rest areas are completely full by 9pm. The noise doesn't really bother me too much. I can sleep next to a reefer if I have to. Not my favorite but it's doable. I've done the Walmart thing once down in KY but it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. Not sure why I just didn't like it. I might give it a shot and reserve a spot the week after Christmas when we are going down to Savannah Ga.

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think that the 12 bucks is well spent myself. Especially at a Truck Stop. I have never had an issue finding, a Lowes, WalMart, Homedepot, Cracker Barrel, Roadside Rest Area, or a rather wide spot in the road, to stop for 4 or 5 hours and move on. I guess it depends on the area of the country.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have noticed the reserved spots at Pilot/Flying J, they are always up front near the pumps. That would be the noisiest part of the whole place. Do you really think you and your family could get any quality sleep in that situation?
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's an interesting idea for the truck stops. But, what will happen when you roll in at 4 AM and there's a truck parked in your 'reserved' spot and the parking lot is full?

It would be nice to know you have somewhere to park when you get to the truck stop but I don't see it being a reliable system unless they have separate RV only parking spots.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
That plan is not for us because I can't sleep in a truck stop with noise from other trucks.

It looks like a great deal for you. I say go for it.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I don't sleep till late morning. I'll get back up around 9 and take off again. Half the time I'm up before the kids and wife. It would always only be for one night either on the way to or returning home from a trip that takes more than a day to get to/from. I just think it's neat that I could reserve a spot to park and sleep and still arrive at 4am.... Most campgrounds would frown upon that.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Your question aside, how do the children and I assume the wife spend the time while you are still sleeping late morning? I would think that if the children went to bed at normal hours, they would be awake early in the morning.

This might work for one night but I don't see how it would work for an extended trip.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog