cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinging when using propane

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
For the past six months, whenever a propane appliance is in use I have a pinging sound from around the propane tanks.

Dealer replaced the regulator but the sound persists.

This happens whenever the stove or oven burners are lit, the hot water heater kicks in or the floor furnace is running. Although the bottles are left open there is no pinging unless the gas is flowing.

I have two 40# bottles. There doesn't seen to be any problem with the gas pressure.

You can easily hear the pinging in the front bedroom which is over the propane storage area. It sounds like someone is trapped inside the propane bottle and hitting the side of it with a wrench.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.
12 REPLIES 12

jaybeesmonty
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the supply hose being the problem. One way to test this theory is have one tank open, one closed. Try your gas appliance. If you hear pinging, close that tank, try the other. By isolating tanks you will know if you have a bad supply hose. If you still hear pinging, you know the hoses are not the problem. (Unless both hoses are bad)

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Rusty for a good read.
magic43

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the great information, everybody. Rusty, thanks for the 101 link.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

gasman_192
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem, the repairman said it would be the hoses from the tank to the regulator. Replaced and it stopped.went back to the old style hoses that you tighten with a wrench. Appliances work better too

statehoss
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same pinging issues on a new camper. I was told it was the pigtails. They were replaced - the pinging was gone.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
troutrod wrote:
Rusty, can you explain what you mean by excess flow valves? I don't know anything about this type of operation. The regulator was changed our but didn't stop the problem. I haven't had any change of flame in the stove or in the oven.

HERE'S a good explanation of RV propane systems.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
propane has a slight amount of oil in it. it will collect moisture. that is in the system.
i installed a low point drain in my system where the flex hose connects to the black piping. once a year i turn off the tanks. remove the cap from the tee fitting i installed and let the oil and water milk drain from the system. clean and re-install the cap. open the tanks and check for a leak at the cap with soapy water. i also check the water column pressure of the gas, adjust the regulator as needed. my system very seldom freezes up in cold weather and gas flow is even.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.

How do I get rid of moisture in the tanks?

Rusty, can you explain what you mean by excess flow valves? I don't know anything about this type of operation. The regulator was changed our but didn't stop the problem. I haven't had any change of flame in the stove or in the oven.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
It's the regulator. Mine had been doing it for years. Doesn't bother me enough to replace it, and I can't hear it over the furnace fan.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as it is easy to duplicate I would take it to a real propane dealer and ask their thoughts.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
troutrod wrote:
For the past six months, whenever a propane appliance is in use I have a pinging sound from around the propane tanks.

Dealer replaced the regulator but the sound persists.

This happens whenever the stove or oven burners are lit, the hot water heater kicks in or the floor furnace is running. Although the bottles are left open there is no pinging unless the gas is flowing.

I have two 40# bottles. There doesn't seen to be any problem with the gas pressure.

You can easily hear the pinging in the front bedroom which is over the propane storage area. It sounds like someone is trapped inside the propane bottle and hitting the side of it with a wrench.

The pinging could be coming from the excess flow valves.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Moisture in the bottles and expansion it causing your noise