cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please edit your quotes before posting!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This information is for everybody on here who likes to quote other members when making a post.

Please learn how to edit your quote to take out all the unnecessary information that came before the portion you wish to quote. It is quite rude and irritating to make quote of a quote of a quote of a quote etc. and expect the members and me to scroll down the page to get past all the stuff we have already read.

All that is necessary is to highlight all the print that does not apply and hit the delete key. Do this before you make the post.

I have to spend considerable time editing posts that should not need editing just because the poster does not know how or is too lazy to do the job right. NO LONGER! From here on in, I will delete any post that has too many quotes in it. I am tired of spending half my time editing posts to make them readable. Too many means those posts that have come before, and are not needed to make the reply seem understandable. Use your common sense and you will know how to do it right.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
30 REPLIES 30

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Not concerned with spelling.

That would be a full time job. 🙂

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I guess from a moderators point of view, the fewer the number of posts, the better. If the participation on these forums continue their current trajectory, it won't be long before moderators won't be needed at all. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

Agree. Steady decline since 2016.??

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I guess from a moderators point of view, the fewer the number of posts, the better. If the participation on these forums continue their current trajectory, it won't be long before moderators won't be needed at all. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
This information is for everybody on here who likes to quote other members when making a post.

Please learn how to edit your quote to take out all the unnecessary information that came before the portion you wish to quote. It is quite rude and irritating to make quote of a quote of a quote of a quote etc. and expect the members and me to scroll down the page to get past all the stuff we have already read.

All that is necessary is to highlight all the print that does not apply and hit the delete key. Do this before you make the post.

I have to spend considerable time editing posts that should not need editing just because the poster does not know how or is too lazy to do the job right. NO LONGER! From here on in, I will delete any post that has too many quotes in it. I am tired of spending half my time editing posts to make them readable. Too many means those posts that have come before, and are not needed to make the reply seem understandable. Use your common sense and you will know how to do it right.

Barney

Well said ! Point taken!

(you new someone would do it)

Your post is a good example of a perfectly good reason for including a quote. It is on a new page and also is a long way from the post you are replying to. In addition, you only quoted me and not any possible others who also quoted me.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Has there been a substantial increase in the cost of digital ink? What difference does it make if a post is 10 words or a connected stream of 10,000? Threatening to delete posts because you don't like how they are formatted sounds extreme. If moderating these forums is too much trouble for you, maybe you should consider turning those duties over to another volunteer.

I don't care one bit how long a post is or the cost of digital ink.:R Part of my job is to help keep posts on topic, within the forum rules, and hopefully enjoyable for the members who come here. Part of that job means, in my opinion, reducing the number of repeated quotes within a member post. I never said moderating is too much trouble. I simply asked that you show some consideration for the other members and edit your post before I have to spend my time doing it. Seems to me that is a reasonable request.
Barney
Not towing now.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

Barney

Well said ! Point taken!

(you new someone would do it)
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Barney....wished this would happen in all our forums especially the tow vehicle section where we argue which is best a Ford or a Chevy truck and everyone quotes 17 other replies...and then makes a three word reply.

Some one must have had a grapefruit for dinner.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe I've ever had a post edited by a Moderator. Mine just get completely removed when I've gone a little sideways :B
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Has there been a substantial increase in the cost of digital ink? What difference does it make if a post is 10 words or a connected stream of 10,000? Threatening to delete posts because you don't like how they are formatted sounds extreme. If moderating these forums is too much trouble for you, maybe you should consider turning those duties over to another volunteer.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobWNY wrote:
Is there a specific reason why you posted this in the Fifth wheel forum as opposed to say the General RV forum or some other part of this site? Are those that usually post from within this area more at fault? I ask because this is where I do most of my posting and want to make sure I'm not part of the problem. Thank you.

I think Barney's moderating can only be applied in the forum sections for which he is the assigned moderator. Correct me if I'm wrong Barney, but no need to quote RobWNY. :B

Jerry

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not concerned with spelling.

Posted this here and in the DIY forum because those are two of the three forums I moderate. Not concerned with other forums although it is probably good advice for those that participate in them.

I guess you would know if you were a part of the problem if you find a lot of your posts with multiple quotes being edited by moderator.
Barney
Not towing now.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Barney, I think you are taking your high paying position a little too seriously, seriously.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a specific reason why you posted this in the Fifth wheel forum as opposed to say the General RV forum or some other part of this site? Are those that usually post from within this area more at fault? I ask because this is where I do most of my posting and want to make sure I'm not part of the problem. Thank you.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Are you gonna go after the people that can't spell?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Barney, what in earth would you do with all the free time you could have if we did it the proper way?.

We keep you busy and make the time fly!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet