cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible New Montana (and fridge question)

L3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Been looking for awhile now at different floor plans and getting close to pulling the trigger. Possibly as soon as next month. We have been around the world it seems looking at different ones and keep coming back to the Montana 3790/3791RD. Been in several and really like everything about it and can get a decent deal right now. I know there is a thread on here with that exact model that has a nightmare story with the side panel coming loose from the frame. Wondering (hope) if this is an anomaly? Are there other folks on here with that model that are happy? Or Montana owners in general that love their rig?

Also, you can get the rig with a residential fridge or a RV unit. Any reason to lean toward a residential Fridge?

Appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
We boondock often so I kept pouring money into my NoCold 1200...Even a Armish cooling unit. Finally gave up and did a DIY installation of a 21 cuft Whirlpool. Two batteries will run it for 30+ hours before needing to recharge as it only draws 96 watts when running... less than half the time.

For boondocking you want two batteries and with the home refrigerator I'd want four. Going residential is the best thing I've done to my MH in 13 years.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
I would never get the residential fridge. I dont believe the manufacturers intended them to be installed in rv's. With the residential refrig, you have to cable the three or four doors/drawers down each time you travel. I don't know how a service tech could ever repair some of these units as I have seen them installed with islands right in front, peninsula's right in front. I would not want to move cabinetry/ disconnect plumbing and wiring if the refrig needed to be pulled out of the cabinet for a repair. Your rv has to be equipped with two batteries to keep the refrig running on an extended time disconnected from 50 amp service, that makes me uncomfortable as we take big long road trips.

Montana and a bunch of other manufacturers are now offering an 18 cu ft Norcold RV refrig which runs electric or propane. It's a large four door side by side unit, some come with an ice maker as well. Very sharp unit with plenty of shelves and interior storage.

I will stick with Norcold or Dometic for my rv refrigerator needs. I have never had a problem with either, and I have owned four fifth wheels over the last 16 years.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Montana sells about 4-5 Thousand 5er's a year a good chunk more than anybody else so yeah they will have a few more complaints or a lemon here and there ,I have owned 3 Monty's a 2004 a 2012 and my 2015 all have been great with just minor issues,right now next to me in the resort is a newer Montana Rear Den and he loves it as far as the residential fridge I WISH! I missed it by 3 months on my early 2015:S
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Montana has been number one in sales for a long time. But since Thor took ownership I suspect your going to hear more problems. Residential refer? Go for it unless your planning to spend a lot of off grid time. Then the residental refer might be an issue.