cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Cord Adapter 50amp to 125 volt suggestions

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
Power Grip RV Power Cord Adapter 50amp 240 volt to 125 volt 15 amp.

Bought a use RV and now I would like to plug it into my house outlet just to keep the battery charged up and possibly operate some lights for a minute or two. Any suggestion on were to purchase and type?

Does anyone have to go from a 50 amp- 4 wire cord to a 30 amp adapter at some camp sites?
Chuck
10 REPLIES 10

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Not to be contrary but why shouldn't I use 120vac to power my on board appliances? Did you mean not to power them with a 15 amp adapter?

With a 30 amp service I can run both AC and MW at the same time.

Sorry, yes, I was just warning that using that 15amp adapter with larger appliances one can either trip a breaker or worse yet melt a standard lower gauge power cord. (Don't ask me how I know this) :W

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
High5er wrote:
I carry all adapters at all times like most of us. 125 is fine for normal use of lights, inverter, awnings, fans tv, radio and even overnight to get your fridge good and cold. Just don't use big power suckers like AC, microwave, toaster, coffee maker etc.. Also high gauge extension cords and a shorter length to the power source is good as well. I use my home power to get her all ready for the big trip with no issues. Enjoy your new RV!! :B

Not to be contrary but why shouldn't I use 120vac to power my on board appliances? Did you mean not to power them with a 15 amp adapter?

High5er said to not run the high wattage/amperage appliances on a 15A outlet. The toaster, microwave and coffee maker might work if they're low wattage and the (high) wattage battery charger or something else doesn't kick in at the same time. You aren't going to run a very high amperage A/C on a 15 amp outlet - that's why you have a 30A RV. You don't have 30A service when plugged into a 15A outlet.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
High5er wrote:
I carry all adapters at all times like most of us. 125 is fine for normal use of lights, inverter, awnings, fans tv, radio and even overnight to get your fridge good and cold. Just don't use big power suckers like AC, microwave, toaster, coffee maker etc.. Also high gauge extension cords and a shorter length to the power source is good as well. I use my home power to get her all ready for the big trip with no issues. Enjoy your new RV!! :B

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
This was my choice: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/Mighty-Cord/A10-1550D90VP.html
And a 12 gauge extension cord works great just to supply limited power.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

High5er
Explorer
Explorer

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Any Rv Store or on line Camping world has them as well

Safe Travels

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart even has them.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Many (most?) of us carry a 50 to 30 adapter and a 30 to 20 adapter just in case.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Rv store, Amazon, Ebay

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck .. wrote:
Does anyone have to go from a 50 amp- 4 wire cord to a 30 amp adapter at some camp sites?
We all do.. carry all sorts of adapters.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman