cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question 6 Point Level Question ???

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I got my new fifth wheel home last night, now need to make some changes to where I park it so the rear leveling will clear where I back it up. I left the 5er hooked to the truck untill tonight, need to put some boards down for now to clear...... my question is I'm not yet hooked to my 50amp and I have the battery disconnect in the off position. The 6 point level up screen will still come on??? Where is it getting power from? Just don't want to kill the battery. Thanks
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
9 REPLIES 9

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Just for clarification, the electric-over-hydraulic brakes may well work with my battery disconnect switch off, but the LevelUp system and the slideouts don't.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've actually never had a battery switch on a trailer be a true battery switch. Both my Montana and Redwood left landing gear and slides (and this one even the hitch lights) on with the switch off.

I will fix that this spring 🙂

The only thing to be aware of is if you make it a true battery switch, you have to tow with the switch "ON" to make your break away electric brakes operate.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
That's what I thought so I unhooked the cord to the truck and the screen still came on. The battery disconnect is in the correct position cause the lights the use the battery won't come on now. Wonder if the screen has a battery cause the screen will time out and shut down.

So your battery disconnect really isn't, it would appear. I guess I'm used to our previous and current Mobile Suites where the disconnect switch does just what it says.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
Some mfg's still allow "vampire" draw even WITH the disconnect off !!!

our smoke detectors, etc... will drive the battery down in a day or two and we have 3 batteries!

Which is inherently STUPID to me,
why have a BATTERY DISCONNECT that doesn't disconnect ?!?

I suspect lawyers and politicians had a hand in that decision with illogical logic 🙂

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
On mine because of the current draw the 6 point and generator is hooked directly to the battery. When not in use neither draws no current so isn't a problem. The disconnect switch is for the electrical vampires: the smoke detectors, CO detector, radios, etc that draw current even when off. Possibly a forgotten light or 2 that over a period of time will drain the battery. If it draws current, no matter how small, it should be turned off by the battery switch.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jerry.... I will have it plugged in to my 50 amp tonight after work.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I thought so I unhooked the cord to the truck and the screen still came on. The battery disconnect is in the correct position cause the lights the use the battery won't come on now. Wonder if the screen has a battery cause the screen will time out and shut down.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is a few things that are still live, when disconnect is off. Often the safety warning devices, radio, and your levelers.

I think the battery will last a few days, with these items still live. You could remove a battery cable, to kill everything, if you wanted.

Congrats, on the new one,
Jerry

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
If you're still plugged into the truck, the LevelUp control panel is probably getting 12 VDC from the truck's batteries through the trailer umbilical if your truck doesn't have a battery isolation relay.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600