cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Lite" 5th wheels

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to be seeing a lot of 5th wheels that are designated as "LITE." What exactly is the difference? Any reason to avoid the so called Lite trailers? The guy next to us has a Rockwood Lite 5th wheel that is 5 feet longer than mine but is about the same weight. I was just curious.
21 REPLIES 21

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
LITE generally means CHEAP and lower quality on construction.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
It's because of the proliferation of people wanting "trucks", i.e. half-ton, or lighter, trucks. Mfrs started making all these so-called 1500 or "half-ton" models which, in most cases, should be towed by a 3/4t, once they're loaded for camping.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much like comparing a โ€œwood framedโ€ WWI airplane to a WW II P-51 Mustang. They both will fly......! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
"Lite" usually means Lite on Quality, Lite on Durability and often times means a lighter hit to your wallet but there are real problems and concerns if you go this route. I know. I bought a "Lite" 5th wheel new a year and a half ago and it's falling apart. So far I've had to stain and finish the dinette table, cut 1/4" off one leg of a dinette chair so it doesn't rock, tried to match a stain to hide the paper thin veneer on the MDF cabinets that has rubbed away, re-adjusted interior doors so they would close (wall flexing during towing is the culprit), Put gorilla tape over worn out areas where it rubs when opening/closing the trifold couch (this happened after using it as a bed maybe 20 times), Window treatments falling off etc. Then there's the lack of wall thickness and insulation that not only effects heating and cooling but there's no sound dampening either so you can hear everyone outside and everyone outside can hear you. These are just a few of the issues I've had in the one year of ownership of my "Lite" 5th wheel. Never again!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
LITE DUTY stickers on the trailer would really clarify things
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Weโ€™ve got a โ€œliteโ€travel trailer, and to save weight they use really thin wood in lots of places. The โ€œplywoodโ€ under the cushions of the dinette lasted 2 trips until my daughters knee went through it. The material reminded me of the balsa wood airplanes I played with. The floor is made of 2 pieces of a really thin plywood with foam between them. The floor feels springy when you walk on it.

Things can be made light and strong, but that usually is a more expensive material or construction method, neither of which Iโ€™ve seen on my trailer.

Unless you really need to save weight I would avoid the lite ones.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Some things I have noticed in some cases.

Smaller tanks, fridges, water heaters, frame sections, axles, wall sections, payload capacities, less durable interior finish materials. Often no generator option, single AC unit.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.