Explorer
What are your experiences towing with this vehicle
29 ft tt
2016 RAM 3500 6.7 CUMMINS
14 REPLIES 14

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to pull a 10K FW, you may be fine. More than that will be a struggle. I tried with a 2500 to pull a 12K and while it could pull it, it was not a nice experience when I hit the hill country. I move to a 3500 RAM diesel. My personal experience. Wish you well.

rbos57
Explorer
Explorer
29 ft tt

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I think because yours have coil springs you will be over the payload and rear axle limit. What does the yellow sticker says for payload?

rbos57
Explorer
Explorer
Coil springs on my truck . Was thinking of adding air bags also.
29 ft tt

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Does your truck has coil spring in the back or leaf springs? This makes a big difference on payload.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Okay, 66RFE then. Thanks for the correction. I know you can get the 6.4 with the Aisin in the cab and chassis trucks which is what I might be interested in some day. I was just curious if that would have the same "hole" between 1st and 2nd.

I'd imagine the 1-2 annoyance would become a bit more manageable with the gears in those with the same tranny. I think the Ram OEM gears are 4.56 and 4.88. But, I'm pretty sure the Aisin has altogether different ratios so it may be a moot point. As far as just the engine goes, the 6.4 is one hell of a motor. And the MPG are quite impressive for what it turns out in power.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, 66RFE then. Thanks for the correction. I know you can get the 6.4 with the Aisin in the cab and chassis trucks which is what I might be interested in some day. I was just curious if that would have the same "hole" between 1st and 2nd.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
mtofell1, do you have the Ram 68RFE or the Aisin?

No Aisin with the Hemis. I've heard the gear ratios are the same as the Non-Aisin tranny used with the diesel and that is the reason for the 1-2 gap. The low end torque is fine with the big gap with the diesel.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my 12k Laredo with my SRW 3500 6.4. I've also have 3:73's. Pulls the 5er just fine.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
do you have the Ram 68RFE or the Aisin?

My understanding is that the 6.4 comes with the 66rfe transmission not the 68rfe. The 68rfe is behind the diesel as the automatic or as you indicate the Aisin can be optional.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are your experiences towing with this vehicle

If you have been towing with a diesel you will likely notice the difference in torque when towing with the 6.4. The 6.4 produces 429 foot pounds torque and the diesels in the big three today have twice that. You do not indicate what you plan to tow so it is hard to help you.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1, do you have the Ram 68RFE or the Aisin?

rbos57
Explorer
Explorer
Good info thanks, I do have the 4.1gear ratio and currently pull about 8000# tt with ease. Was wondering about 5th wheel pulling with it. The numbers say no ptoblems but wanted to hear it.
29 ft tt

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Towed an 8000# loaded TT and it was a GREAT fit.

Now tow a 10,500# loaded 5th wheel and it's a good fit.

I have 3.73 gears and it would probably be a bit better with the 4.10s but they are hard to find.

The biggest complaint I have (and it's a common complaint) is the mile gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Slow, winding roads while towing are a pain. Basically, you can rev it out in 1st gear up to about 35 or lug in 2nd gear and hop back to 1st often.

On the highway and up steep grades I can easily pull the speed limit. It's all about being able to get the RPMs to where the engine makes power. This thing is a workhorse as long as you can get to the sweet spot - 3500RPM+.